CounterSpy (video game)
|Publisher(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Release date(s)||PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita
September 5, 2014
CounterSpy is a side-scrolling stealth video game developed by Dynamighty and published by Sony Computer Entertainment as a cross-buy and cross-save title for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita. Subsequently, the game was released on Android and iOS on September 5, 2014.
The games received a mixture of average and positive reviews. It was mostly praised for its art and soundtrack.
CounterSpy is a 2.5D sidescroller with stealth elements and randomly generated levels. Set in an alternate version of the Cold War, players play as a counter agent sent to infiltrate the bases of opposing countries in order to prevent either of them from launching nuclear weapons. Movement largely takes place on a 2D plane, whilst specially marked areas allow the player aim their weapon in 3D space. The games atmosphere is heavily inspired by 60's spy mythologies such as Bond, and The Man from UNCLE. score multiplier is awarded for making consecutive stealth kills. The main aim of the game is to collect enemy plans which help to further the story and shut down the base's weapon at the end of each level. Players can also collect intel, which serves as the game's currency, as well as plans which unlock new weapons and special formulas. Prior to each mission, players can spend intel to refill ammo, purchase and equip unlocked weapons, or equip up to three single use formulas which make the game easier, such as increased stealth or health. If a player beats a rival player's score, they can encounter them during the next level and retrieve bonus intel from them.
The main thing the player must be cautious about is the DEFCON status of both sides. This raises if the player is caught by security cameras or if a guard is allowed to radio in after becoming suspicious, and will automatically go up a level if the player is killed. Players can lower the DEFCON status by forcing white-uniformed officers to surrender without killing them, or by using a certain formula. If the DEFCON status reaches DEFCON 1, the player will have a limited amount of time to reach the end of the level and shut down the weapon before it is launched, at which point the game will end.
The game was developed with assistance from SCE Foster City Studio, which has previously worked on games in the Uncharted, Infamous, and Resistance series of video games. While historically known for collaborating with the series' respective large development studios, CounterSpy marks the first time they've teamed up with an indie development team, Dynamighty. The team comprises past staff from LucasArts and Pixar.
Hardcore Gamer gave the game a 3/5, saying "CounterSpy's awesome improvisational take on stealth can be hindered by both framerate inconsistencies and occasional perspective oddities." IGN rated it 7/10, praising the game's concept, art and soundtrack while citing the inconsistent AI and "occasional control issues". Polygon also praised the game's overall presentation, "but its interactivity is ugly enough to make for an unfortunate pairing when the balance is measured" and rated it 5/10.
- Karmali, Luke (July 23, 2014). "Couterspy Gets a PS4, PS3 and Vita Release Date". IGN. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- Nottingham, David (May 7, 2013). "CounterSpy Sneaking to PS3, PS Vita". blog.us.playstation.com. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- Nottingham, David (July 23, 2014). "Begin Transmission: CounterSpy Comes to PS4, PS3, Vita 8/19". blog.us.playstation.com. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- "CounterSpy Announced For PlayStation 3, PS Vita". IGN. 2013-05-07. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "Dynamighty leaks some more information about upcoming espionage thriller CounterSpy | CounterSpy news | PlayStation Vita". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "Counterspy: Interview with Creative Director David Nottingham". PlayStation.Blog. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- "Race Against The Doomsday Clock In Counterspy - Features - www.GameInformer.com". Origin-www.gameinformer.com. 2013-05-07. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- Hinkle, David (2013-05-07). "It's a sabotage: CounterSpy set to infiltrate PS3, PS Vita". Joystiq. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- Whittaker, Matt (19 August 2014). "Review: Counterspy". Hardcore Gamer. Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 24 August 2014.