|Studio album by|
|Released||April 28, 2003|
|Genre||Alternative rock, electronica|
|Label||Mute - STUMM214|
|Producer||Andrew Phillpott and Paul Freegard|
|Martin L Gore chronology|
Released April 28, 2003 in Europe and April 29, 2003 in the US, Counterfeit² is an album featuring 11 covers of songs that Gore considered influential to his own compositions for Depeche Mode. He recorded this album around the same time as David Gahan recorded his first solo album Paper Monsters, after the Exciter tour was finished, and around the same time Andrew Fletcher produced Client's self-titled debut album. Counterfeit² is a very synth heavy album compared to Depeche Mode's prior two albums, Exciter and Ultra, and includes a song sung completely in German ("Das Lied vom einsamen Mädchen").
Gore also went on a brief tour consisting of a few concerts in Europe and only Los Angeles in North America.
CD: Mute / CDSTUMM214 (UK)
- "In My Time of Dying" – 4:24 (Traditional, Gore's version is primarily influenced by Bob Dylan's recording, though the Led Zeppelin version is more well known.)
- "Stardust" – 3:08 (written by David Essex)
- "I Cast a Lonesome Shadow" – 4:51 (written by Hank Thompson, Lynn Russwurm)
- "In My Other World" – 3:53 (written by Julee Cruise, Louis Tucci)
- "Loverman" – 7:02 (written by Nick Cave)
- "By This River" – 4:01 (written by Brian Eno, Hans-Joachim Roedelius, Dieter Moebius)
- "Lost in the Stars" – 2:52 (written by Maxwell Anderson, Kurt Weill)
- "Oh My Love" – 3:33 (written by John Lennon, Yoko Ono)
- "Das Lied vom einsamen Mädchen" – 5:25 (written by Werner R. Heymann, Robert Gilbert, originally performed by Hildegard Knef)
- "Tiny Girls" – 3:20 (written by David Bowie, Iggy Pop)
- "Candy Says" – 4:35 (written by Lou Reed, originally performed by The Velvet Underground)
- Andrew Phillpott – producer
- Paul Freegard – producer
- Anton Corbijn – art direction, sleeve photo
- Jennifer Secord - supplementary photos
- Peter Gordeno - piano on "Lost in the Stars", Fender Rhodes on "Das Lied Von Einsamen Mädchen" and backward solo on "Tiny Girls"
- Martin L. Gore – vocals, synthesizer, guitar, arranger
- Kris Solem – mastering
- Recorded at Electrical Ladyboy
- A single for the track "Stardust" was released two weeks prior to the release of Counterfeit². It included the B-sides "Life Is Strange" and a video of "Left Hand Luke and the Beggar Boys" (both are two soul songs written by Marc Bolan from the 1973 T.Rex album Tanx), along with various remixes of "Stardust" and "I Cast a Lonesome Shadow".
- After Counterfeit², saw the release of Loverman EP² which included mixes of "Loverman" and "Das Lied vom einsamen Mädchen". There was also a version with a DVD which included footage of Martin's Milan show on April 30, 2003 and an interview. It was released in November in the UK and was not released in the US.
- Andy Kellman. "Counterfeit 2 - Martin Gore - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "COUNTERFEIT 2 by Martin L. Gore". Metacritic. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Allmusic review
- "Maxim". Retrieved 20 March 2015.[permanent dead link]
- Lynskey, Dorian (25 April 2003). "CD: Martin L Gore: Counterfeit 2". The Guardian. Retrieved 10 March 2021.
- Straub, Daniel. "Der Songschreiber von DM bringt selbst Computer zum Weinen" (in German). laut.de. Retrieved 10 March 2021.
- Pitchfork Media review
- Huss, Mattias (17 March 2003). "Martin Gore: Counterfeit 2". releasemagazine.net. Retrieved 21 May 2019.