Countess Henriette Charlotte of Nassau-Idstein
|Henriette Charlotte of Nassau-Idstein|
|Duchess consort of Saxe-Merseburg|
9 November 1693|
Idstein Castle, Idstein
|Died||8 April 1734
Delitzsch Castle, Delitzsch
|Spouse||Maurice Wilhelm, Duke of Saxe-Merseburg|
|Issue||Princess Fredericka Ulrike|
|Father||George August, Count of Nassau-Idstein|
|Mother||Henriette Dorothea of Oettingen-Oettingen|
Born in Idstein Castle, Idstein, she was the fourth of twelve children born from the marriage of George August, Count and since 1688 Prince of Nassau-Saarbrücken-Idstein and Henriette Dorothea of Oettingen-Oettingen. From her eleven older and younger siblings, only four survive adulthood: Christine Louise (by marriage Princess of East Frisia), Albertine Juliane (by marriage Hereditary Princess of Saxe-Eisenach), Auguste Fredericka (by marriage Princess of Nassau-Weilburg) and Johannette Wilhelmine (by marriage Countess of Lippe-Detmold).
In Idstein on 4 November 1711, Henriette Charlotte secretly married Maurice Wilhelm, Duke of Saxe-Merseburg.
After eight years of childless union, on 23 June 1720 the Duchess gave birth a daughter, Fredericka Ulrike, who died within hours. Although officially appears as the Duke's daughter, is highly probable that she was product from the affair of her mother with Friedrich Carl von Pöllnitz, Henriette Charlotte's Hofmarshal and lover for several years.
After her husband's death in 1731, Henriette Charlotte retired to Delitzsch Castle, Delitzsch, where she openly lived with von Pöllnitz until her death three years later, aged 40. She was buried in the Stadtkirche SS Peter und Paul, Delitzsch.
- Georg August Samuel Fürst v.Nassau-Idstein in: Genealogy Database by Herbert Stoyan Archived 2014-10-17 at the Wayback Machine. [retrieved 12 October 2014].
- Marek, Miroslav. "Genealogy of the House of Nassau". genealogy.euweb.cz. Retrieved 12 October 2014.[self-published source][better source needed]
- Friederike Ulrike Herzogin v.Sachsen-Merseburg in: Genealogy Database by Herbert Stoyan Archived 2014-10-17 at the Wayback Machine. [retrieved 12 October 2014].
- Marek, Miroslav. "Genealogy of the House of Wettin (Merseburg line)". genealogy.euweb.cz. Retrieved 12 October 2014.[self-published source][better source needed]
- Manfred Wilde: Zwischen Ehebruch und Staatsräson. Das außereheliche Verhältnis von Herzogin Henriette Charlotte von Sachsen-Merseburg als diplomatisches Ränkespiel [in:] Martina Schattkowsky/Manfred Wilde (ed.): Sachsen und seine Sekundogeniturfürstentümer. Schriften zur Sächsischen Geschichte und Volkskunde, vol. 33. Leipziger University, Leipzig 2010, pp. 257−287.
- Manfred Wilde: Liebeslust und Standesdünkel [in:] Manfred Wilde und Nadine Kinne (ed.): Barockschloss Delitzsch. Edition Leipzig, Leipzig 2007, pp. 42−46.
- Nassau-Weilburg line in: Royaltyguide.nl [retrieved 12 October 2014].
Countess Henriette Charlotte of Nassau-IdsteinBorn: 9 November 1693 Died: 8 April 1734
Title last held byErdmuthe Dorothea of Saxe-Zeitz
|Duchess consort of Saxe-Merseburg
Elisabeth of Mecklenburg-Güstrow