Countess Palatine Dorothea Catherine of Birkenfeld-Bischweiler
|Countess Palatine Dorothea Catherine of Birkenfeld-Bischweiler|
3 July 1634|
|Died||7 December 1715
|Spouse(s)||John Louis, Count of Nassau-Ottweiler|
|Father||Christian I, Count Palatine of Birkenfeld-Bischweiler|
|Mother||Magdalene Catherine, Countess Palatine of Zweibrücken|
Countess Palatine Dorothea Catherine of Birkenfeld-Bischweiler (born 3 July 1634 in Bischweiler; died: 7 December 1715 in Neunkirchen) was a Countess Palatine of Zweibrücken-Birkenfeld-Bischweiler by birth and, by marriage, Countess of Nassau-Ottweiler.
Dorothea Catherine was a daughter of the Count Palatine Christian I of Zweibrücken-Birkenfeld-Bischweiler (1598–1654) from his first marriage with Magdalene Catherine (1606–1648), daughter of the Count Palatine John II of Zweibrücken.
She married in 1649 in Bischweiler with Count John Louis of Nassau-Ottweiler (1625–1690), the founder of the line Nassau-Ottweiler.
After her husband's death Dorothea Catherine lived on her widow seat, Neunkirchen Castle near Ottweiler and was active in charity. She supported the construction and maintenance of a hospital in Ottweiler by contributing substantial financial resources.
From her marriage, Dorothea Catherine had the following children:
- Christian Louis (1650-1650)
- Frederick Louis (1651–1728)
- married firstly on 28 July 1680 Countess Christiane of Ahlefeld (1659-1695)
- married secondly on 27 September 1697 Countess Louise Sophie of Hanau-Lichtenberg (1662-1751)
- Anna Catherine (1653–1731)
- married in 1671 to John Philip Wild- and Rhinegrave of Salm-Dhaun (1645-1693)
- Wolrad (1656–1705)
- Charles Siegfried (1659–1679)
- Louis (1661–1699)
- married on 9 April 1694 Countess Louise Amalie of Horne (1665-1728)
- Louise (1662–1741)
- Maurice (1664–1666)
- Fried Köllner: Geschichte des vormaligen Nassau-Sarbrück'schen Landes und seiner Regenten, pp. 337, 340 ff
- Jahresbericht [afterw.] Trierer Jahresberichte, 1858, p. 58 Online