Countess Palatine Hedwig Elisabeth of Neuburg
Hedwig by Adriaen van der Werff
18 July 1673|
Stadtschloss, Düsseldorf, Germany
|Died||10 August 1722
|Burial||St. Kazimierz Church, Warsaw, Poland|
|Spouse||James Louis Sobieski|
|Maria Karolina, Duchess of Bouillon
Maria Clementina, Titular Queen of England
|Father||Philip William, Elector Palatine|
|Mother||Elisabeth Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt|
Hedwig Elisabeth of Neuburg (Hedwig Elisabeth Amelia; 18 July 1673 – 10 August 1722) was the daughter of Philip William, Duke of Neuburg, Berg and Jülich, Elector Palatine of Neuburg, and his wife Landgravine Elisabeth Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt.
She was the grandmother of Charles Edward Stuart, the "Young Pretender".
Born at the Stadtschloss in Düsseldorf, she was the fifteenth of seventeen children. Her sisters included Eleonor Magdalene, Holy Roman Empress, Maria Sofia, Queen of Portugal, Maria Anna, Queen of Spain and Dorothea Sophie, Duchess of Parma and mother of the famous Elisabeth Farnese.
Her nephews and nieces included Charles VII, Holy Roman Emperor and Clemens August of Bavaria, Archbishop of Cologne. Others included, the future John V of Portugal as well as his consort Maria Anna of Austria (daughter of Empress Eleonor Magdalene).
Her future husband was engaged to Ludwika Karolina Radziwiłł but the marriage never materialised and thus allowed her to marry him.
Her grandson, through her daughter Maria Clementina, was Bonnie Prince Charlie. Her sister married Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor. Therefore, her great- niece was Maria Theresa of Austria, the great empress who was also mother to Marie Antoinette of Austria.
- Maria Leopoldyna (30 April 1693 – 12 July 1695).
- Maria Casimira (20 January 1695 – 18 May 1723) - she became a nun. Her father tried to get her married to Charles XII of Sweden.
- Marie Karolina, known as Charlotte (25 November 1697 – 8 May 1740) married twice; firstly to Frédéric Casimir de La Tour d'Auvergne, no issue; married again Charles Godefroy de La Tour d'Auvergne and had issue.
- Jan (21 October 1698 – July 1699).
- Maria Clementina (18 July 1702 – 24 January 1735), married James Francis Edward Stuart (1688–1766), son of King James II of England (1633–1701) and had issue.
- Maria Magdalena (born and died 3 August 1704).