County-class patrol vessel
Two of the Jamaican Coast Guard patrol vessels
|Operators:||Jamaica Defence Force Coast Guard|
|In commission:||2005 – present|
|Type:||Damen Stan 4207 patrol vessel|
|Length:||42.8 metres (140 ft)|
|Speed:||26 kn (48.15 km/h)|
The Jamaican Coast Guard operates three County-class offshore patrol vessels, based on the Damen Stan 4207 design of patrol vessels. The three vessels of the class are HMJS Cornwall, HMJS Middlesex, and HMJS Surrey. They were delivered in 2005 and 2006.
Like some of the patrol vessels of other nations built to the Damen Stan 4207 design the Jamaican vessels are equipped with a stern launching ramp, capable of deploying and retrieving a small jet boat, for rescue or pursuit. The vessels' bridge electronics were supplied by Alphatron Marine.
In 2012 the Jamaican Fire Brigade found itself in the embarrassing position of having only one of its four fireboats operational, and it had requested that the County-class patrol vessels help fill in until its more modern replacement vessels were delivered.
- "Navy (Jamaica), Navy". Janes. 2011-10-18. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
The capabilities of the Jamaican Coast Guard were greatly enhanced with the acquisition in 2005 and 2006 of three Damen offshore patrol vessels.[permanent dead link]
- "Coast Guard: Stan Patrol 4207 vs Combat Boat 90". Jamaica Security and Defence. 2011-10-16. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
The Jamaica Defence Force Coast Guard acquired 3 Damen Stan Patrol 4207 offshore patrol vessels in 2005 and 2006. These 3 ships were commissioned HMJS Cornwall, HMJS Middlesex, and HMJS Surrey.
- "SENTINEL Class Patrol Boat: Media Round Table". United States Coast Guard. 2008-09-30. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-10-03. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- "Mid-Shore Patrol Vessel". Canadian Coast Guard. 2011-06-15. Archived from the original on 2013-05-15. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
The Mid-Shore Patrol Vessel is based on Damen’s Stan Patrol 4207 design. As of 2001, 16 vessels based on this design have been built and are currently in use by agencies such as the UK Border Agency and the Coast Guards of the Netherlands, Barbados, Jamaica, and Albania.
- "Alphatron Marine". Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- "NavComms Bonanza at Europort". Maritime Journal. 2005-10-01. Archived from the original on 2012-05-06. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
On show at Europort Maritime will be the full working Lloyds approved INS bridge concept as supplied to a series of Damen Stan Patrol OSV 4207 coast guard vessels for the Jamaica Coast Guard.
- Alicia Dunkley-Willis (2013-11-07). "Jamaica to get more fire boats". Jamaica Observer. Archived from the original on 2013-12-11. Retrieved 2013-12-11.
"It is the understanding between us and the marine police and the coastguards once these kinds of calls come in they will respond to our base. Our equipment and persons are still there. If we look at it most of the marine police stations tend to be beside fire boat stations," he told Observer editors and reporters.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Damen Group patrol vessels of Jamaica.|