County Prep High School
|County Prep High School|
|525 Montgomery Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
|Type||Magnet public high school|
|Asst. prinicpal||Kathy Young|
|Enrollment||708 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||8.7:1|
County Prep High School is a full-time public magnet high school for students in ninth through twelfth grades, located in Jersey City in Hudson County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Hudson County Schools of Technology.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 708 students and 81.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 8.7:1. There were 297 students (41.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 105 (14.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 184th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 21 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the two components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA), mathematics (81.3%) and language arts literacy (91.0%).
Academic courses are aligned to the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards. Career clusters include Communications, Medicine and Science, Technological Engineering and Design, Business and the Arts. Students are involved in the plan and design of their learning path promoting a desire to explore, to be creative and to succeed.
Program choices ensure that all students participate in internships, work/study programs and community service prior to graduation.
The core courses in County Prep are:
|World Literature||Algebra 1||Integrated Lab Science|
|American Literature 1||Geometry||Biology|
|American Literature 2||Algebra 2||Chemistry|
|British Literature||Pre Calculus||Physics|
|History||World Language||Physical Education/Health/Driver's Education|
|U.S History 1||French|
|U.S History 2||Spanish|
County Prep also provides electives for students to take. The electives are:
Anatomy & Physiology, AP American History, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP Physics, Aquaculture, Astronomy, Business Law, Business Management, Choir, Computerized Accounting, Dance, Economics, Environmental Science, Film Genre, Food Service, Forensics, Geology, Internships, Introduction to Law, Investing in Your Future, Marketing, Microcomputer Applications, Multicultural Literature, Physics, Probability & Statistics, Precalculus, Psychology, Retailing, Sign Language, Sociology, Studio Art, Trigonometry, & Yoga.
Business, Cosmetology, Culinary Arts, Internetworking/Computer Systems Support, Medical Science, Fashion, Printing Technology Design, TV Production/Digital Photography, Web Design and Development, & Visual/Performing Arts.
As of the 2010-11 school year, County Prep no longer offers sports to their students due to budget cuts. District officials noted that students would remain eligible to compete on behalf of their home school districts.
The 2010 boys' track team became Tri-County Champions defeating McNair Academy and Hoboken High School.
The County Prep Hurricanes' Girls' Tennis team completed its fifth straight Seglio Division season undefeated by beating Marist 5-0 in Bayonne. The Team had won 70 consecutive Seglio Division matches.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Barbara Mendolla, Principal
- Kathy Young, Assistant Principal
County Prep High School also provides alternative schools located in the same building. Career Academy is an alternative High School. School begins after 3:00pm and students are provided with dinner. The principal for Career Academy is John Holoduek.
Besides Career Academy, another alternative high school is the Adult High School (AHS). AHS begins at 6:30pm to 8:30pm and classes are in session from Monday to Thursday.Joseph Giammarella is the Vice Principal and the Principal is Jim Doran, but he is located at the Adult High School at High Tech High School in North Bergen, NJ. Students must graduate with at least 110 credits and pass the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) or be SRA. Students can take up to 20 credits per semester and can finish high school in 3 years.
Students can also receive their GED at County Prep High School after 4:00pm.
- School data for County Prep High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 8, 2012.
- Staff. "Yerr out!!! County school district eliminates sports programs at County Prep, High Tech", The Jersey Journal, April 23, 2010. Accessed May 29, 2011. "As far as the athletes at High Tech High School and County Prep High -- which make up the county school districts are concerned -- the district school board did the unthinkable. The board eliminated the sports programs from the two schools last night in approving the district budget for next year, said Phil Swibinski, a spokesman for the district."
- 2007 Girls' Team Tennis - North II, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 25, 2007.
- 2009 Baseball Tournament - Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 25, 2009.
- Support Staff, County Prep High School. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- Adult High School Program, Hudson County Schools of Technology. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- County Prep High School
- Hudson County Schools of Technology
- Hudson County Schools of Technology's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Hudson County Schools of Technology, National Center for Education Statistics