Couple or Trouble
|Couple or Trouble|
(from left) Oh Ji-ho, Han Ye-seul and Kim Sung-min
|Also known as||
by Leslie Dixon
|Directed by||Kim Sang-ho|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Creative Leaders Group 8|
|Original network||Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation|
|Original release||October 14– December 3, 2006|
Couple or Trouble (Hangul: 환상의 커플; RR: Hwan-sang-eui Keo-peul; lit. Fantasy Couple) is a 2006 South Korean television series loosely based on the 1987 Hollywood film Overboard. Starring Han Ye-seul and Oh Ji-ho, it aired on MBC from October 14 to December 3, 2006 on Saturdays and Sundays at 21:40 for 16 episodes. The romantic comedy series was popular in the ratings, and received recognition at the MBC Drama Awards.
Anna Jo (Han Ye-seul) is a rude, spoiled, arrogant and impossible-to-please American-bred heiress. She returns to Korea only to continue being a controlling wife to her already cowardly husband, Billy Park (Kim Sung-min). When her yacht gets stuck for repairs, she hires local handyman Jang Chul-soo (Oh Ji-ho) to fix her shower, but when they have a heated spat over her dissatisfaction with his work and refusal to pay, she pushes him overboard and dunks his tools into the ocean right along with him. Later, after a quarrel with Billy that threatens to end their marriage, she herself gets drunkenly pitched overboard and falls victim to a bad case of amnesia.
In the hospital, she ends up beside none other than Chul-soo, who's still recovering from his own swim in the ocean for his lost tools. Unknown to her, he's been raising his three orphaned nephews in their unkempt house and desperately needs a nanny. Taking advantage of her memory loss, he manages to convince her that she's his live-in girlfriend and renames her Na Sang-shil. But he didn't expect her spoiled selfishness to slowly turn into compassion. And he didn't expect to fall overboard again — this time, for her.
- Han Ye-seul as Anna Jo / Na Sang-shil
- Oh Ji-ho as Jang Chul-soo
- Kim Sung-min as Billy Park
- Park Han-byul as Oh Yoo-kyung
- Kim Kwang-kyu as Department head Gong
- Kim Jung-wook as Ha Deok-gu
- Lee Mi-young as Oh Kye-joo
- Jung Soo-young as Kang-ja
- Lee Suk-min as Jang Joon-seok
- Kim Tae-yoon as Jang Yoon-seok
- Park Joon-mok as Jang Geun-seok
- Lee Sang-yi as Shim Hyo-jung
Awards and nominations
- 2006 MBC Drama Awards
- Drama of the Year
- Excellence Award, Actress: Han Ye-seul
- Popularity Award, Actress: Han Ye-seul
- Popularity Award, Actor: Oh Ji-ho
- Best Couple: Oh Ji-ho and Han Ye-seul
- Nomination - Excellence Award, Actor: Oh Ji-ho
- Popularity Award (TV): Han Ye-seul
- Nomination - Best Actress (TV): Han Ye-seul
- Nomination - Best New Director (TV): Kim Sang-ho
- Nomination - Best Screenplay (TV): Hong Jung-eun, Hong Mi-ran
- "Han Ye-seul Wins Over Detractors as Amnesiac Heiress". The Chosun Ilbo. October 28, 2006. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Yang, Sung-jin (December 12, 2007). "Herald Interview: Han Ye-seul, a bilingual beauty, eyes foreign entertainment markets". The Korea Herald via Hancinema. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "Couple or Trouble". MBC Global Media. Retrieved June 18, 2015.