"Courage (for Hugh MacLennan)" is a song by The Tragically Hip, released as the third single from their 1992 album Fully Completely. The song's bracketed title references the late author Hugh MacLennan, particularly his 1959 novel The Watch That Ends the Night which is paraphrased in the song's lyrics.
The song was very successful, reaching #10 on Canada's RPM Singles Chart, and also charting well in the United States. The song was also nominated for "Single of the Year" at the 1994 Juno Awards.
In 1997, the song was covered by Sarah Polley for use in the film The Sweet Hereafter. The cover version was also used in the television series Charmed. Singer-songwriter Justin Rutledge also covered the song for his 2014 album Daredevil, an album consisting entirely of Tragically Hip covers.
- ^ Ward, Lindsey (2009-11-03). "The Hip: Canada's ultimate band". Sun Media. Retrieved 2010-05-11.
- ^ Anderson, Jason (2005-11-24). "Our Home and Native Band". CBC News. Retrieved 2010-05-11.
- ^ a b "Top Singles - Volume 57, No. 14, April 17, 1993". RPM. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- ^ Griffin, John (1997-10-23). "Window to the heart" (Pay-per-view). The Record (Kitchener, Ont). Retrieved 2010-05-11.
- ^ Kelly, Brendan (1997-03-16). "The Sweet Hereafter". Variety. Retrieved 2010-05-11.
- ^ "Justin Rutledge Ropes In Brendan Canning, Jenn Grant, Andy Maize for Tragically Hip Covers Album". Exclaim!, January 30, 2014.
- ^ a b "The Tragically Hip - Billboard Singles". allmusic. Retrieved 2010-05-24.