Court of Appeal of Sri Lanka
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Court of Appeal of Sri Lanka|
|Authorized by||Government of Sri Lanka|
|Decisions are appealed to||Supreme Court of Sri Lanka|
|No. of positions||12|
|President of the Court of Appeal|
|Currently||Hon. Justice P.Padman Surasena|
Court of Appeal of Sri Lanka, commonly known as the Appeal Court, is the second most senior court in the Sri Lankan legal system, with only the Supreme Court of Sri Lanka above it. Established in 1971, under the Court of Appeal Act No. 44 of 1971 the Appeal Court has jurisdiction to hear appeals from the High Court or any lower court, while its own decisions may be additionally appealed to the Supreme Court. The Appeal Court his headed by the President of the Court of Appeal.
The court consists of the President of the Court of Appeal and not fewer than six and not more than eleven other Judges, appointed by the President, upon the President's recommendation for such appointment to the Constitutional Council is approved by the Council.
Judges who hold office during good behaviour can serve until the retirement age for the judges fixed at 65 years, as per the Constitution.
Appeal Court judges wear dark purple gowns when attending court. On special ceremonial occasions (such as ceremonial sittings of the Appeal Court) they would wear dark purple gown, barrister's bands and mantle and a long wig.
Judges of the Court
- Hon. Justice P.Padman Surasena - President of the Court of Appeal
- Hon. Justice Deepali Wejesundera
- Hon. Justice A.H.M.D Nawaz
- Hon. Justice M.M.A.Gaffoor
- Hon. Justice K.K.Wickramasinghe
- Hon. Justice S.Thurairaja PC
- Hon. Justice E.A.G.R.Amarasekara
- Hon. Justice A.L.S.Gooneratne
- Hon. Justice Janak De Silva
- Hon. Justice A.A.U Wengappuli
- Hon. Justice Mahinda Samayawardhena
- Hon. Justice Arjuna Obeyesekera