|Date of birth||23 February 1989|
|Place of birth||Hackney, London, England|
|Height||2.01 m (6 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||118 kg (18 st 8 lb; 260 lb) |
Northampton School for Boys
|Rugby union career|
Courtney Lawes (born 23 February 1989 in Hackney, England) is a professional rugby player for Northampton Saints, who play in the Aviva Premiership. Lawes is a versatile player, and can play either in the second or back row. Lawes grew up near Northampton. Lawes is a product of Northampton Old Scouts, the same club that produced his former teammate Rob Milligan as well as Ben Cohen and Steve Thompson, amongst others. Lawes has won England representative honours for the U18 and U20 sides and won his first senior cap against Australia in November 2009.
He toured Australia with England Under 18s in 2007 and made his Saints first team debut against Esher in National One in the 2007–08 season. He missed out on the 2008 U20s Six Nations through injury but featured in the IRB Junior World Championship that year.
The following season (2008–09) he played in the Guinness Premiership, the EDF Energy Trophy and the European Challenge Cup, receiving the Man of The Match award in the home game against Montpellier. He established a reputation for making huge hits, notably in the final of the ECC Tournament against Bourgoin where he hit Morgan Parra in a tackle so hard that his shoulder dislocated and in the 2015 Six Nations Championship match against France with a huge tackle on Jules Plisson.
On 7 July, Lawes was selected for the England Saxons squad. On 26 October, Lawes received his first call-up to the England Rugby Elite Squad. He made his England debut on 7 November in the 18–9 defeat against Australia at Twickenham, replacing Leicester's Louis Deacon for the last 12 minutes of the match.
On 19 April 2017, it was announced that Lawes would be heading to New Zealand with the British and Irish Lions for their summer tour, with his Saints teammate George North. Lawes was handed his first Lions starting place for the Lions' second game of the tour, facing the Blues.
- "Men's Health profile". Men's Health website. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- "Courtney Lawes: England's hopes are looking up". The Independent. London. 17 January 2010.
- "Northampton Saints 74–10 Esher". Official Northampton Saints Website. 20 October 2007. Archived from the original on 14 June 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- "Second bonus point puts Saints top of Euro pool". Official Northampton Saints Website. 18 October 2008. Archived from the original on 16 December 2008. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- "Northampton 15–3 Bourgoin". BBC. 22 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- "Courtney Lawes' massive hit on Jules Plisson, England v France, 21st March 2015". RBS 6 Nations Youtube Channel. 21 March 2015. Retrieved 2015-03-21.
- "England lose out to New Zealand in Junior final". RFU. 21 June 2009. Archived from the original on 24 June 2009. Retrieved 7 July 2009.
- Wilkinson returns to England fold BBC Sport. 2009-07-07. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- Injury-hit England make changes BBC Sport. 2009-10-26. Retrieved 2010-02-17.