Courtney Marie Andrews
|Courtney Marie Andrews|
Courtney Marie Andrews in 2010
|Born||November 7, 1990|
|Origin||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Labels||River Jones Music, Mama Bird Recording Co., Loose, Fat Possum Records|
|Associated acts||Damien Jurado, Jimmy Eat World|
Courtney Marie Andrews (born November 7, 1990) is an American singer-songwriter originally from Phoenix, Arizona, United States. She released her first album, Urban Myths, in 2008, and she has released five albums since. From 2010 to 2011, Andrews was an auxiliary member of Jimmy Eat World, appearing on their 2010 album Invented and acting as their keyboardist and backing vocalist on the subsequent tour.
In September 2009, Jim Adkins of the band Jimmy Eat World asked Andrews to sing with him on a live cover of Wilco and Feist's song "You and I". In 2010, she recorded backup vocals for Jimmy Eat World on five songs for their album Invented. She subsequently joined them on stage to perform during the album's release and full 2010/2011 tours, acting as their keyboardist and backing vocalist.
In 2011, Andrews relocated to Seattle, WA. It was there that she began playing electric guitar in long-time admirer Damien Jurado's band.
It was while living in Belgium for four months playing guitar and singing with Belgian star Milow that the songs for Honest Life, Andrews' fifth album, started taking shape. Written on the back of heartbreak and homesickness, Honest Life tells the story of Andrews' first true growing pains as a woman, the desire to fit somewhere when nowhere fits and the longing to return home to the people she knows and loves. The album was produced entirely by Courtney at Litho Studios in Seattle with recording engineer Floyd Reitsma and was released on August 19, 2016 in the North America by Mama Bird Recording Co. and on January 20, 2017 in the UK and Europe by Loose.
It was well received by US critics. In addition to being The Bluegrass Situation's Album of the Year, Rolling Stone named Honest Life one of the Top 40 country albums of 2016  as well as naming Andrews one of ten new country artists people need to know. Stereogum praised Andrews' songwriting calling it "an expert marriage of gracefully confessional songwriting with country-folk arrangements that recall Joni Mitchell" while naming Honest Life the No. 6 best country album of 2016. While naming it No. 38 best album of 2016, American Songwriter called single "How Quickly Your Heart Mends" the No. 4 song of 2016  and continued to praise Andrews' songwriting saying "she writes with such empathy and insight that she gives Lucinda a run for her money". Single "Rookie Dreaming" was placed on the year end Heavy Rotation list by NPR and was placed on their "Folk Alley's 10 Favorite Albums Of 2016" list.
Upon its release in the UK/EU, Honest Life reached No. 1 on the Official UK Americana Chart and No. 1 on the Independent Album Breakers Chart after the first week. It received a five-star review from The Daily Telegraph  who called it "an absolutely perfect little gem of an album" and four-star reviews from both MOJO and Q Magazine.
May Your Kindness Remain
May Your Kindness Remain is Courtney’s sixth album and the follow-up to Andrews’ breakthrough album, Honest Life. The album was released on March 23, 2018 in the UK and Europe by Loose and the rest of the world by Fat Possum Records and Mama Bird Recording Co. Produced by Mark Howard (producer) (Lucinda Williams, Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Tom Waits), the album was recorded over eight days at a rented house-turned-studio in Los Angeles, CA. In addition to Andrews on vocals and electric/acoustic guitar, the album features Dillon Warnek (electric guitar), Daniel Walter (organ, Wurlitzer, accordion), Charles Wicklander (piano, Wurlitzer), William Mapp (drums, percussion), Alex Sabel (bass) and C.C. White (background vocals).
Of the album and the inspiration behind its ten songs, Andrews comments, “The people that I’ve met on the road these past few years got me thinking about my childhood, and the people around me that I’ve known, and the stories that come from my family. It became clear how many people are struggling through the same issues. People are constantly chasing that bigger life. A lot of people are poor in America—and because of those unattainable goals, they’re also mentally unstable, or sad, or depressed or unfulfilled. A lot of people—myself included at some point in my life—are loving somebody through this. That’s sort of the theme of the record: coming to terms with depression and the reality of the world we’re living in.”
May Your Kindness received critical acclaim for its release in the United States from Rolling Stone, NPR Music, Chicago Tribune, American Songwriter, WXPN The Key, Bluegrass Situation and more. Of the single and Andrews, Fader declares "Kindness of Strangers' rules...incredible cut...what a voice she has - it always lifts me up" and Paste Magazine recounts that the album is "a rare blend of power and feeling that can bring you to your knees." Naming May Your Kindness Remain as the album of the week, Stereogum describes the album as "...a head-spinning discovery, a warm and gorgeous and fully formed piece of work. The kindness isn't just in the lyrics. It's in the way music like this can nourish you, can make your insides glow. An album like this can be a refuge," while Brooklyn Vegan describes the album as "more proof that Courtney is a force to be reckoned with."
Upon its release in Europe, May Your Kindness received No. 1 placement on the Euro Americana Chart for April 2018, published monthly, as well as placing No. 1 on the UK Americana Albums Charts, UK Independent Albums Breakers Charts, No. 5 on the UK Independent Albums Chart and was awarded a five-star review from The Daily Telegraph who called it, “an absolutely perfect little gem of an album.” Additionally, MYKR placed in at No. 19 in Sweden for general music charts upon its release. The album received positive reception in the United States as well, placing No. 12 on the US Top New Artist Albums Chart and No. 14 on the US Americana/Folk Albums Chart. Andrews subsequently received the "International Artist of the Year" award by the UK Americana Awards for May Your Kindness Remain in February 2018.
On March 31, 2018, following the release of May Your Kindness Remain, Andrews made her USA national television debut on CBS This Morning where she performed "May Your Kindness Remain," "Kindness of Strangers," and "Two Cold Nights in Buffalo." Shortly after, the band appeared on NPR's World Cafe series performing the album's title track. In May 2018, Andrews was nominated for "Emerging Artist of the Year" by the Americana Music Association in the United States. She later performed on air at the Americana Music and Honors awards ceremony on September 13, 2018 at the legendary Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN, USA.
In June 2018, Rolling Stone named May Your Kindness Remain as one of the 25 Best Country and American Albums of 2018. In the United Kingdom, The Guardian similarly the album one of the 25 Best Albums of 2018.
|2008||Urban Myths||River Jones||RJM-006|
|2009||Painters Hands and a Seventh Son||River Jones||RJM-007|
|2010||No One's Slate Is Clean||House Arrest||1645|
|2013||On My Page||House Arrest/Fat Possum/Loose||1646, VJ236|
|2016||Honest Life||Mama Bird/Fat Possum/Loose||MB013, VJ228|
|2018||May Your Kindness Remain||Fat Possum/Mama Bird/Loose||FP1651-1, 1651-2, VJ240|
|2016||"How Quickly Your Heart Mends"||Mama Bird/Loose||VJS59|
|2017||"Sea Town"/"Near You"||Loose/Mama Bird/Fat Possum||VJS80, MB017-7, FP1641-7|
Awards and nominations
|2018||UK Americana Awards||International Artist of the Year||Courtney Marie Andrews||Won|
|2018||Americana Music Honors & Awards||Emerging Artist of the Year||Courtney Marie Andrews||Nominated|
- Drew, Cline (October 2008). "Know Your Locals". Java Magazine. Archived from the original on 2012-02-20. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- Meyer, Mike (July 30, 2009). "Courtney Marie Andrews Gives a Glimpse into a Teen Girl's World". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- Mudgway, Sarah (January 12, 2011). "Jimmy Eat World Plus Courtney Marie Andrews Performing an Acoustic Version of Coffee and Cigarettes Live". Coup de Main Magazine. Archived from the original on July 8, 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- Jansen, Steve (April 8, 2010). "By the Time I Get to Phoenix: Courtney Marie Andrews Is the Biggest Star in the Valley's Blooming Pop-Folk Scene". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- Rosen, Steven. "Jimmy Eat World: Have Little Complaints About Their New Album". Ultimate-Guitar.com. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- Pareles, Jon (15 October 2010). "Jimmy Eat World Plays Terminal 5". The New York Times. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "BGS Class of 2016: Albums". Thebluegrasssituation.com. 15 December 2016.
- "40 Best Country Albums of 2016". Rolling Stone.
- "10 New Country Artists You Need to Know Right Now". Rolling Stone.
- "The 20 Best Country Albums Of 2016". Stereogum.com. 16 December 2016.
- "American Songwriter's Top 50 Albums Of 2016: Presented by D'addario « Page 2 of 5 « American Songwriter". Americansongwriter.com. 1 December 2016.
- "Top 50 Songs of 2016: Presented By Bose « Page 5 of 5 « American Songwriter". Americansongwriter.com. 7 December 2016.
- "Folk Alley's 10 Favorite Albums Of 2016". Npr.org.
- McCormick, Neil (2 December 2017). "A country star from another age: Courtney Marie Andrews, Honest Life, review". Telegraph.co.uk.
- "Listen to this Courtney Marie Andrews country song please". The FADER. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- "Courtney Marie Andrews: May Your Kindness Remain Review". pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- "Album Of The Week: Courtney Marie Andrews May Your Kindness Remain". Stereogum. 2018-03-20. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- "Monthly list | EuroAmericanaChart". Euroamericanachart.eu. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- McCormick, Neil (2017). "A country star from another age: Courtney Marie Andrews, Honest Life, review". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2018-06-12.
- "Loose | Courtney Marie Andrews Crowned 'International Artist Of The Year' At The UK Americana Awards". www.loosemusic.com. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Courtney Marie Andrews On World Cafe". NPR.org. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "Americana Announces 2018 Honors & Awards Nominees | AmericanaMusic.org". americanamusic.org. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- Crawford, Robert (2018-09-12). "2018 Americana Honors & Awards: How to Watch, Performers, Nominees". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "25 Best Country and Americana Albums of 2018 So Far". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- Beaumont-Thomas, Ben (2018-06-20). "Best albums of 2018 so far". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "UK Americana Awards 2018 winners unveiled - M Magazine". M-magazine.co.uk. 2 February 2018. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- New Times: "Andrew Bird, Franz Ferdinand, Bon Iver, and Courtney Marie Andrews are Just Some of What's Selling at Stinkweeds Record Exchange" (February 2009)
- New Times: "The Sun Sessions: Courtney Marie Andrews Plays Lucinda Williams" (May 2009)
- Wavelength feature story: "Folk Family" (Fall 2009)
- For One I Knew on ThinkIndie