September 1, 1971 |
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Life and career
Solomon was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. In the 1990s, he founded Sweetpea Entertainment as a vehicle to produce a science fiction television series or MMORPG. In 1996, Sweetpea advanced Imperium Games seed money to launch as a company dedicated to the role-playing game Traveller, in exchange for equity and media rights.:330 In 2000, with Solomon producing and directing, Sweetpea released the film Dungeons & Dragons, based on the role-playing game of the same name.:334 Five years later, Solomon and Hong Kong-based business magnate Allan Zeman formed the production company After Dark Films, with Solomon as a partner and CEO. He wrote and directed the company's first release, An American Haunting, starring Sissy Spacek and Donald Sutherland, a story based on Tennessee's Bell Witch legend.
In 2006, Solomon created the After Dark Horrorfest, also known as 8 Films to Die For, an annual film festival featuring eight acquired independent horror films subsequently distributed in theaters nationwide by Lions Gate Entertainment. Following this, After Dark Films launched After Dark Originals, a series featuring eight originally produced horror films, some of which premiered on the cable channel Syfy.
In 2012, Solomon created a lineup of five films collectively called After Dark Action. The films were released in theaters nationwide in the same model as Horrorfest and were launched with Warner Brothers Digital and Home Video. The franchise involved After Dark, Joel Silver and Dark Castle for a series of films featuring actors such as Jean-Claude Van Damme, Dolph Lundgren, Peter Weller, Jim Caviezel, and Christian Slater.
|2000||Dungeons & Dragons||Yes||Yes||No|
|2005||An American Haunting||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God||No||Yes||No|
|2009||Universal Soldier: Regeneration||No||Yes||No|
|The Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations||No||Yes||No|
|Beyond a Reasonable Doubt||No||Yes||No|
|Scream of the Banshee||No||Yes||No|
|Bullet to the Head||No||Yes||No|
|The Philly Kid||No||Yes||No|
|Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning||No||Yes||No|
|Burn Your Maps||No||Yes||No|
|The Yellow Birds||No||Yes||No|
- Snyder, S. Jams (July 13, 2007). "Creating a Captive Audience". The New York Sun. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
...the 35-year-old founder of After Dark...
- Cieply, Michael (June 25, 2007). "Already Under Fire, a Producer Is Going Further". The New York Times. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Appelcline, Shannon (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- "Five New Films Announced as Part of After Dark Action" (Press release). After Dark Films via ComingSoon.net. April 2, 2012. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Sneider, Jeff (April 2, 2012). "Dark Castle, After Dark Cue Action Banner". Variety. Retrieved November 11, 2013.