Stodden in Santa Ana, California
for Josway on April 27, 2013
|Born||Courtney Alexis Stodden
August 29, 1994
Tacoma, Washington, United States
|Spouse(s)||Doug Hutchison (m. 2011)|
Courtney Alexis Stodden (born August 29, 1994) is an American reality show contestant. In 2011, then 16-year-old Stodden received widespread criticism after marrying then 50-year-old actor Doug Hutchison.
Courtney Alexis Stodden was born on August 29, 1994, in Duncanville, Texas, to Alex John Stodden and Krista Kay Keller Stodden. Stodden describes her childhood as "beautiful and fun", stating that she was "extremely spoiled, in a good way".
Stodden says that she dropped out of high school because she was bullied over "the way she looks", and continued her education by being home schooled through an online private Christian academy.
Stodden began in the entertainment industry by competing in a beauty pageant, the Miss Teen Washington USA pageant in 2010. She has also ventured, unsuccessfully, into modeling. As of 2011, her measurements are listed as 36-23-35, and she is 5 feet, 4 inches in height. Stodden's mother, Krista Keller, initially served as her manager but Keller quit in the spring of 2015, citing "creative differences". Stodden is currently managed by Hutchison.
The couple appeared as cast members in the second season of the VH1 reality television series Couples Therapy, which premiered in October 2012. The series features publicly known couples receiving therapy for relationship problems. According to Stodden, the couple enrolled in therapy in order to resolve issues that arose in their marriage from their age difference. Despite the criticism leveled at the couple, and her own reservations about the dynamic of their relationship, Dr. Jenn Berman, the Marriage, Family, and Child Therapist who worked with the couple during their appearance on the show, stressed that she does not believe that Hutchison is, or was, seeking out young people, saying, "He's not a predator. He's not someone, who if Courtney left him, would be trolling the Internet or high schools for underage girls. That's not his m.o. This is not a guy who was seeking out teenagers. He was teaching a class, she wanted to be an actress, it was an acting class... And that’s how it started."
Though Berman was eventually surprised by the dynamic between the two, she commented on her initial hesitations about working with the couple, saying, "I believe it was the wrong decision to let a 16-year-old marry a man in his 50s. It’s uncomfortable to see... [at first] I said to my producer, ‘I think this guy is a pedophile...I don’t know if I can work with these people.’ I don’t condone it, but I do see that this is a married couple that is genuinely married and they have marital issues that needed to be worked on. I came in saying, 'She's a victim, he's a predator.' What I found out was that she has a lot more power in this relationship and he is far more powerless than I expected. His family has completely disowned him... He unfortunately has nothing besides her." Hutchison was also defended by Stodden's mother, Krista Keller, who praised Hutchison for the kindness with which he treats Stodden.
In August 2013, Stodden became a housemate on the twelfth season of the British version of Celebrity Big Brother but was evicted on Day 21, two days before the season finale, after receiving the least amount of votes to save against Carol McGiffin, Louie Spence, Mario Falcone and Vicky Entwistle.[episode needed]
On March 18, 2014, the video for 50 Cent's "Don't Worry Bout It" was released, featuring a cameo appearance by Stodden. That August, Stodden appeared in an episode of the Reelz reality television series Hollywood Hillbillies.
On August 19, 2015, Rich Kid Mafia (RKM), a Los Angeles-based entertainment company whose primary services include artist management, digital marketing and music production, signed Stodden to an exclusive international management and development deal.
Stodden is a vegetarian, having chosen the diet because she "never felt right eating animals before", and because of lactose intolerance, as she explained in a Couples Therapy bonus clip. She later clarified, when responding to this information in her Wikipedia article in a June 2014 video on The Wow Report that she is not lactose intolerant, and that her empathy with animals was her sole reason for her dietary beliefs. She began the diet a month prior to filming "Playing By The Rules", an October 2012 episode of Couples Therapy's second season. Stodden has attempted to follow a vegan diet, but chose instead to follow a vegetarian diet due to fewer food restrictions. She has promoted the vegetarian lifestyle on PETA's behalf. In June 2013, Stodden had breast augmentation surgery to increase her breast size from a size C to a size DD. She is a fan of the Seattle Seahawks.
Relationship with Doug Hutchison
At age 16, the aspiring pop music singer[Note 1] signed up on the Internet for an acting workshop taught by actor Doug Hutchison, on the recommendation of a friend of her maternal aunt, who worked in Hollywood, and knew Hutchison. Hutchison, who did not realize that she was a teenager, began a courtship with her over the Internet that lasted between four and six months,[Note 2] during which they fell in love before having met in person. After Hutchison became aware of Stodden’s age, he told her mother, Krista, who had monitored their online exchanges, and was aware of their relationship and their age difference, that he would cease his relationship with Stodden if her parents disapproved. Her parents, citing Stodden’s "devout Christianity", allowed her to make her own decision.
On May 20, 2011, Stodden married Hutchison in Las Vegas, Nevada. Stodden was his third wife. Their relationship drew controversy and criticism, as Stodden was 16 when she married 51-year-old Hutchison, who has been labeled a "pedophile" and "predator". It was also reported that Stodden's father was 4 years younger than his son-in-law Hutchison. According to Hutchison, as a result of his marriage to Stodden, his agent quit, his family disowned him and he received death threats.
On November 1, 2013, the media reported that Stodden and Hutchison were ending their marriage of two and a half years. Stodden later told Fox News that their 34-year age gap was a primary contributing factor for their divorce. In a subsequent interview, Stodden said that the split and impending divorce was amicable, that Hutchison was continuing to co-manage her career, and that the experience of their marriage didn't sour her on older men. On November 9, 2013, the two signed a legal separation document. The document said though they confirmed terms of their legal separation, they would continue to live together at their residence. In August 2014, the couple announced that they had reconciled, with plans to renew their wedding vows later that year.
- Note: Although this ABC News story and this Us Weekly story both refer to Stodden as an aspiring country music singer, she adamantly clarified at the 2:26 mark of the first video in this Wow Report story that she is not a country singer.
- Note: The ABC News citation indicates that the courtship was four months. However, the interview between Dr. Jenn Berman and Stodden's mother, Krista, that occurred in Couples Therapy Episode 2.8 indicated that it was five or six.
- "Doug Hutchison and Courtney Stodden Talk Marriage". E! News/YouTube. July 19, 2011.
- "Marriage License/Certificate scan of Doug Hutchison and Courtney Stodden" (PDF). Radar Online.[dead link] Archived from RadarOnline's article 16-Year-Old Bride and 51-Year-Old Hubby’s Marriage License & Certificate! June 22, 2011.
- "Putting Love to the Test". Couples Therapy. Season 2. Episode 8. November 14, 2012. VH1.
- "Playing By the Rules". Couples Therapy. Season 2. Episode 5. October 31, 2012. VH1.
- Marika, Sheila (June 21, 2011). "Actor Doug Hutchison, 51, Weds Aspiring Country Singer Courtney Alexis Stodden, 16". ABC News. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "ABCNews" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Season Finale". Couples Therapy. Season 2. Episode 10. November 29, 2012. VH1.
- Elise, Abigail. "Why Did Courtney Stodden's Mom Quit As Manager? Krista Keller Reveals Reason Behind Split". International Business Times. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- Father Albert. Season 1. July 20, 2011. Fox.
- Ellis, Angela; Ghebremedhin, Sabina (July 15, 2011). "Exclusive: Doug Hutchison, 51, and Courtney Stodden, 16, Dish on Controversial Marriage". Nightline. ABC News.
- Finn, Natalie (July 19, 2011). "Green Mile's Doug Hutchison & Teen Bride Courtney Stodden Talk Virginity, Surgery and That Age Gap". E! News.
- Beard, Lanford (October 3, 2012)."'Couples Therapy': Courtney Stodden teases 'vicious energy' in season 2". Entertainment Weekly.
- "'I'm about to hit my threshold': Doug Hutchison, 52, breaks down on Couple's Therapy as underage wife Courtney stands him up". Daily Mail. October 23, 2012.
The session starts with comments by lead therapist Dr Jen Berman, who says that while she still questions the dynamics of Courtney and Doug's relationship, 'What I do know is that if the animosity between Nik and Doug continues, it's going to distract from everyone's therapy'.
- Spero, Jesse (October 9, 2012). "Couples Therapy’s Dr. Jenn Berman: Doug Hutchison Is ‘Not A Predator’". Access Hollywood.
- Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson (March 18, 2014). "50 Cent - Don't Worry Bout It (Official Music Video) - TI50". This is 50.
- "Michael Makes a Music Video". Hollywood Hillbillies. Season 2. Episode 5. August 26, 2014. Reelz.
- "Controversy Over Child Bride Courtney Stodden's Sex Tape". Gawker. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "Courtney Stodden signs to Rich Kid Mafia". Retrieved August 19, 2015.
- ""I'm Lactose". Couples Therapy: Ep. 6: "Playing By The Rules" Bonus Clips". VH1. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- "Courtney Stodden Wants You to Read the Bible". Gawker. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- "Courtney Stodden in Courtney Naturally – Wikipedia Mad Libs". The Wow Report. June 5, 2014. 2:00 mark. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- Vultaggio, Maria. "Courtney Stodden's Sexy Thanksgiving Photo Shoot For PETA". IB Times. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- "Courtney Stodden Gets Boob Job Former Teen Bride Undergoes Breast Enlargement Surgery (PHOTO, VIDEO)". The Huffington Post. June 18, 2013.
- "Courtney Stodden Films Breast Enlargement Surgery [Video]". Inquisitr. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- Bogursky, Sasha (May 21, 2014). "9 things you didn't know about Courtney Stodden". Fox News.
- "Green Mile's Doug Hutchison, 51, Marries Aspiring Country Singer, 16". US Weekly. June 20, 2011.
- Cutié, Alberto. "Father Albert: Was Courtney a Virgin Before She Married Doug?". FatherAlbertShow. YouTube. July 20, 2011.
- Nsenduluka, Benge (October 5, 2012). "'Couples Therapy' Doug Hutchison Called 'Pedophile' Over Marriage to Courtney Stodden". The Christian Post.
- "Episode #2.1". Couples Therapy. Season 2. Episode 1. October 3, 2012. VH1.
- Hayner, Chris E. (November 1, 2013). "Courtney Stodden and Doug Hutchison ending marriage after 2 years". Zap2it. Retrieved November 2, 2013.
- Bogursky, Sasha (November 18, 2013). "Courtney Stodden spills on split: George Clooney and 'Bachelorette' in teen's future?". Fox News.
- "'I wanted my freedom!': Courtney Stodden, 19, reveals why she split from Doug Hutchison, 53". Daily Mail. November 9, 2013. Retrieved November 9, 2013.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Courtney Stodden and Doug Hutchison make their split official with separation agreement ... as teen bride betrays her age with heart signature". Daily Mail. November 10, 2013. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Rothman, Michael (August 11, 2014). "Courtney Stodden, 19, Engaged Again to Ex 54-Year-Old Doug Hutchison". ABC News.
- Chiu, Melody (August 12, 2014). "Courtney Stodden and Doug Hutchison Are Back Together – and Renewing Their Vows". People.
- Robertson, James (September 12, 2013). "Courtney Stodden before she was famous: Childhood pictures of controversial TV bombshell". Daily Mirror.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Courtney Stodden.|