The Courtyard Theatre was a 1,048 seat thrust stage theatre building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England operated by the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC). It temporarily replaced The Other Place theatre during the redevelopment of the Royal Shakespeare (RST) and Swan Theatres. The last performance at the Courtyard Theatre took place in 2010. It will be replaced by The Other Place, which is returning as a 200-seat studio theatre in 2016.
Designed by Ian Ritchie Architects and built in 11 months, the Courtyard Theatre was opened in August 2006 to host performances by the Royal Shakespeare Company while its Royal Shakespeare and Swan Theatres were closed for redevelopment between 2007 and 2010 as part of a £112.8 million transformation project.
Built on the site of the RSC’s studio theatre, The Other Place, the Courtyard Theatre was created within a steel extension as a full-sized working prototype for the design of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre’s new 1040+ seat auditorium and provided an opportunity to gain experience relating to sightlines, acoustics, lighting and comfort of seats. The Courtyard Theatre’s awards include the National and Regional RIBA Award for Architecture 2007 and the Stratford-on-Avon Council Celebration of Excellence 2007 Design Award.
The Royal Shakespeare and Swan Theatres reopened on 24 November 2010, with the first full Shakespeare performances beginning in February 2011, with the last performance in the Courtyard Theatre, Matilda, A Musical, taking place in January 2010. Temporary planning permission for the Courtyard Theatre was in place until the end of 2012 and it was used for the World Shakespeare Festival as part of the Cultural Olympiad in 2012.
The Courtyard Theatre will be replaced by The Other Place, which is being reinstated as a 200-seat studio theatre in 2016. Despite originally intended as a temporary building, the steel extension will remain and will house the new theatre.
- "RSC Courtyard Theatre". ianritchiearchitects.co.uk. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Courtyard Theatre". london-theatreland.co.uk. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Celebration of Excellene Design Award". stratford.gov.uk. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "The Royal Shakespeare Company Courtyard Theatre". architecture.com. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Queen officially opens RSC theatre and justice centre". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Shakespeare's The Other Place in Stratford begins revamp". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "RSC's Courtyard Theatre staying in Stratford". stratfordobserver.co.uk. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Celebration brings down curtain at Courtyard Stratford-Herald.com
- Transforming our theatres RSC.org.uk