Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States ( Louisiana)|
|Traditional tribal religion, Protestant Christianity|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Other Koasati people|
The Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana is one of three federally recognized tribes of Koasati people. They are located in Allen and Jefferson Davis Parishes, Louisiana. The tribe hosts an annual pow wow during the second weekend in July.
The Koasati language is part of the Apalachee-Alabama-Koasati branch of the Muskogean languages. An estimated 200 people spoke the language in 2000, which most of them living in Louisiana. The language is written in the Latin script.
The Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana is headquartered in Elton, Louisiana. The tribe is governed by a democratically elected five-member council. The current administration is as follows:
- Chairman: Loveland Poncho
- Vice–Chairmam: David Sickey
- Secretary Treasurer: Jerold Poncho
- At-Large Member: Pratt Doucet
- At-Large Member: Wayne Wilson.
The tribe owns a Christmas tree farm, Coushatta Casino Resort, Koasati Pines at Coushatta, Coushatta Grand Hotel, Coushatta Grand Inn, Seven Clans Hotel, Koasati Pines Lodge, Red Shoes RV Resort, Big Sky Steakhouse, Gumbeaux's Oyster and Sports Bar, Seven Clans Buffet, Terrace Cafe, Cafe Grande, Corner Bar & Deli, PJ's Coffee of New Orleans, Bar 7, and Eagles Nest Bar & Grill, all located in Kinder, Louisiana. The tribe also owns a gas station and convenience store on the reservation known as Buffalo Run.
- "Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana." Archived 24 March 2005 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- Pritzker 364
- Coushatta Powwow. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Koasati." Ethnologue. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Tribal Government." Archived 4 July 2013 at Archive.is Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Coushatta Casino Resort." 500 Nations. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- McCrocklin, Claude (1990). "The Red River Coushatta Indian Villages of Northwest Louisiana, 1790-1835". Louisiana Archaeology. No. 12.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koasati.|
- Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana, official website