|Municipality||Santa Catarina do Fogo|
|Civil parish||Santa Catarina do Fogo|
8235 - Center
Cova Figueira is a city in the southeastern part of the island of Fogo, Cape Verde. It is situated 22 km east of the island capital São Filipe. Since 2005, it serves as the seat of Santa Catarina do Fogo Municipality. Its elevation is 480 meters above sea level and nearby has the island's easternmost point. The volcano Pico do Fogo is 7.7 km to the northwest. The etymology is named after a hollow located around the area.
Both agriculture, tourism are its main industries of the city. Not on a fixed schedule, Aluguer buses connects with the capital and sometimes Mosteiros during six days of the week but not on holidays.
Cova Figueira offers panoramic views of the Atlantic and the island of Santiago.
Around 73,000 BC or 75,000 years ago, the area was formed as part of the interior of the earlier Fogo Mountain, its landscape before was about 1,000 meters (3,000 feet) higher, the eastern half collapsed and with some erosion and lava flow over the centuries, it would form the current landscape.
Once a town, the town was elevated to a city in 2010, the most recent in Cape Verde
Its climate is arid, nearly the same as Fonte Aleixo and Patim but not the island capital. Average temperature is 27 °C. The highest temperature is in the month of July with 29 °C and the lowest is in March with 26 °C. Average rainfall is 245 mm, the highest is in September with 114 mm and the lowest is in April with a millimeter.
- Desportivo de Cova Figueira - a football/soccer team currently playing in the Fogo Island Second Division
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 17 March 2014.
- Brown, Emma (2 October 2015). "Island Boulders Reveal Ancient Megatsunami". Nature. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- Ramalho, Ricardo S.; Winckler, Gisela; Madeira, José; Helffrich, George R.; Hipólito, Ana; Quartau, Rui; Adena, Katherine; Schaefer, Joerg M. (2 October 2015), "Hazard potential of volcanic flank collapses raised by new megatsunami evidence", Science Advances, vol. 1 no. 9
- Elevation of Cova Figueira Into a City, law 77/VII/2010, published in B. O., no. 32, Series I August 23, 2010 (Portuguese)
- Michel Lesourd, Cova Figueira in Le Cap-Vert (2006), p. 141, Jaguar Editions, Paris ISBN 978-2-86950-408-0