|Headquarters||Pleasanton, California, U.S.|
|D. Craig Young, CEO|
|Products||Voice, Unified Communications, Ethernet, Data communications, MPLS, security, cloud computing|
Number of employees
MegaPath is a business telecommunications company, founded in 1996, that provides a Voice, Unified Communications, Internet Access, Managed Security Services, and Cloud Computing services to carrier and service-provider businesses in the United States. The company is headquartered in Pleasanton, California. In 2010, MegaPath acquired the voice communications specialists Speakeasy and the network provider Covad, which they merged with their existing portfolio of MPLS and managed services to form a single company. In 2015, the company sold its wholesale division, along with a portion of its managed services business, and announced plans to focus resources and investments more heavily on the high-growth cloud and unified communications markets.
The company was founded in 1996. Over the next several years the company made acquisitions of other vendors: Phoenix Networks in 2000, Epoch Networks in 2002, TManage in 2003, the services operation of Aventail Corporation in 2005, IP Merchant Solutions in 2007, and DSL.net in 2009.
In 2010 the company merged with Covad and Speakeasy.
In 2014, MegaPath launched its Unified Communications service. Around the same time, the Chicago-based services company, Global Capacity, announced a definitive agreement with MegaPath to acquire MegaPath's Wholesale Network Services business unit. MegaPath and Global Capacity finalized this transaction on January 6, 2015. Upon closing of the transaction, MegaPath announced it will focus on driving growth and expanding its core value-added Voice, Data, Security and Cloud services.
MegaPath offers hosted voice services for single-site and multi-site businesses. Its voice services support calling features including Find Me/Follow Me, visual voicemail, call recording and mobile integration, aiming to reduce the costs and complexity of managing and maintaining a PBX. Its SIP trunking and enterprise trunking services are designed to allow customers to use the features of VoIP with their existing PBX equipment.
In July 2014, MegaPath announced a partnership with CounterPath Corporation to deliver CounterPath Bria desktop, tablet and mobile unified communications services through MegaPath’s Hosted Voice service. The Unified Communications solution include presence, instant messaging, screen sharing collaboration, text messaging, fixed-mobile convergence, and video conferencing.
Managed security services
MegaPath offers security services such as private networking, which include MPLS, IPsec and SSL VPN services for connecting geographically distributed and mobile workforces. MegaPath also provides unified threat management services which include anti-virus and anti-spyware protection, intrusion detection, and web filtering. The company also offers Compliance Services that solves log, vulnerability, and security information management issues, such as PCI compliance.
- "MegaPath Corporate Overview". MegaPath.
- "BusinessWire: MegaPath, Covad, Speakeasy Merger Closes".
- "Phoenix Networks sold BY TO TOto MegaPath Oct 26, 2000. St. Louis Business Journal". St. Louis Business Journal.
- "MegaPath acquires Epoch Networks, October 16, 2002. Bloomberg". Businessweek.com.
- Christina Torode. "MegaPath acquires TManage, September 16, 2003. CRN". CRN.
- "MegaPath Acquires Aventail, June 14, 2007, The Seattle Times".
- "MegaPath acquires IP Merchant Solutions, August 18, 2008. Businesswire".
- "MegaPath acquires DSL.net, December 24, 2009. Bloomberg". Businessweek.com.
- "Covad and Speakeasy Merge with MegaPath, September 1, 2010. Channel Partners Online".
- "MegaPath acquires IP5280, January 26, 2012. VoIP-Catalog.com".
- "FierceTelecom: MegaPath Among Largest Ethernet over Copper Players". FierceTelecom.
- "Global Capacity snaps up MegaPath's wholesale unit". fiercetelecom.com. 2014-09-08. Retrieved 2015-04-26.
- "MegaPath Jumps Into Unified Communications, June 11, 2014. Channel Partners Online".