Cove Neck, New York
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Cove Neck, New York|
|Incorporated Village of Cove Neck|
Location in Nassau County and the state of New York.
|• Total||1.6 sq mi (4.1 km2)|
|• Land||1.3 sq mi (3.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||23 ft (7 m)|
|• Density||180/sq mi (70/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0947571|
In 1990 Avianca Flight 52 crashed at Cove Neck. There are no remains of the crash.
Cove Neck is home to some of Long Island's wealthiest families and residents. It was incorporated in 1927, and many homes have been held throughout generations. Included are:
- Charles Dolan, founder of Cablevision
- James Dolan, CEO of Cablevision
- Mort Künstler, artist
- Charles Wang, founder of Computer Associates, owner of the New York Islanders and the New York Dragons
Cove Neck is located at (40.877655, -73.497176).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2), of which 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), or 18.47%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 300 people, 110 households, and 83 families residing in the village. The population density was 233.4 people per square mile (89.8/km²). There were 140 housing units at an average density of 108.9 per square mile (41.9/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 94.67% White, 4.00% Asian, 1.33% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.33% of the population.
There were 110 households out of which 30.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.4% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.5% were non-families. 19.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the village, the population was spread out with 26.3% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 20.3% from 25 to 44, 29.3% from 45 to 64, and 19.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 96.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.3 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $159,792, and the median income for a family was $177,805. Males had a median income of $100,000 versus $47,188 for females. The per capita income for the village was $110,139. None of the population or families were below the poverty line.
Oyster Bay-East Norwich Central School District serves Cove Neck.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Cove Neck village, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.