Covenant's Senate Building
|Motto||Raising a New Generation of Leaders|
|Established||21 October, 2002|
|Chancellor||Dr. David Oyedepo|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor AAA Atayero|
|Location||Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria|
Covenant University (CU) is located in Ota, Ogun State in Nigeria. It is a private Christian university, affiliated with Living Faith Church Worldwide and a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, Association of African Universities and National Universities Commission. Over the years, Covenant University has grown to be one of the leading universities from Nigeria based on annual rankings from various organizations, scholarly citations from reputable journals and JAMB statistics.
History and governance
The process of founding Covenant University (CU) started in October 1999, one month after the dedication of Faith Tabernacle in Ota, the largest church auditorium in the world. The university is a product of the Liberation Commission and was established by the World Mission Agency and the Living Faith Church Worldwide. Covenant University opened on 21 October 2002 in Canaanland, Ota, with a Pentecostal Christian mission ethos. It was founded by David Oyedepo, the presiding Bishop of Living Faith Church Worldwide, who is chancellor of the university. 
World Mission Agency (WMA), a Christian mission organization, (an arm of Living Faith Church World Wide founded by Dr. David Oyedepo) is the proprietor of Covenant University. In his capacity as the visioner of the university, Dr. Oyedepo serves as the life chancellor of the university and the chairman of the board of trustees of World Mission Agency. It is the board of trustees of World Mission Agency that appoints members and also elects the chairman of the board of regents (governing council) of Covenant University. The board is the apex governing body of the university. The chancellor of the university, Bishop Dr. David Oyedepo, is the chairman of the board of regents.
Pastor Abraham Ojeme was appointed pro-chancellor of the university on 23 September 2013. This was announced by the chancellor and chairman, board of regents, Dr. David Oyedepo, at a chancellor's special meeting with the management team. The chancellor said the appointment will facilitate decision-making and approval process in the university as well as spiritual oversight of the university community. According to the job description read by the chancellor, the pro-chancellor will represent the interest of the proprietors on behalf of the chancellor by providing visionary, spiritual and administrative oversight for the university through qualitative pursuit of her vision and mission while serving as the custodian of her culture and values.This office no longer exists in Covenant University.
Academic programmes and sports
Covenant University academic programmes runs in four Colleges namely College of Business and Social Sciences (CBSS), College of Leadership Development Studies (CLDS), College of Engineering (COE) and College of Science and Technology (CST). School of Postgraduate Studies Covenant University runs postgraduate programmes in the entire courses listed above. Its sports facilities are swimming pool, football pitch, lawn tennis, table tennis, basketball, volleyball courts, etc. Covenant University is also one of the affiliated universities of the Nigeria Private University Games Association.
Covenant University's Centre for Learning Resources, otherwise known as the University's Library, is situated between the female Hall of Residence Dorcas Hall and Esther Hall areas of the campus, and directly opposite the University's chapel. The total floor area of the complex is 11,300m/2. It is designed as a glass structure. It is located amidst the college buildings, the University Chapel and the Halls of Residence. It is able to accommodate up to 3000 readers and about 500 research staff and postgraduate.
Open access publishing
In January 2011 Covenant University adopted a policy that mandated all referred publications in journals, conferences and books to be deposited in the University [http://oer.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/ open access] repository. This applied to faculty and post-graduate students alike.
- Dolapo 'LowlaDee' Adeleke, Nigerian filmmaker
- Ric Hassani, musician
- Ishaya Bako, Nigerian film director and screenwriter.
- Bez, Nigerian multi-instrumentalist and composer.
- Ini Dima-Okojie, actress and style icon
- Gbubemi Fregene, Nigerian chef
- Simi, lyricist and sound engineer
- Spellz, Nigerian music producer (dropped out in his penultimate year)
Notable faculty members
- Professor Eric Maskin, 2007 Nobel laureate
- Professor Ezekiel Adebiyi, first professor of Bioinformatics in West Africa; Vice-president (2007–2011) and secretary (2011-date) of African Society for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology 
- Professor Emmanuel Maduagwu, professor of Biochemistry and fellow of the Nigerian Academy of Science and Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Professor Shalom Chinedu, former Deputy Vice Chancellor
- Professor Taiwo Abioye, former Deputy Vice Chancellor
- Professor Charles Ogbulogo, former Deputy Vice Chancellor
- Professor Ekundayo Adeyinka Adeyemi, first professor of Architecture in Nigeria and Sub-Saharan Africa
5. Professor AAA Atayero (July 15, 2016 – present) 
4. Professor Charles Ayo (November 1, 2012 – July 2016) 
3. Professor Aize Obayan (February 2005 – October 31, 2012) 
2. Dr. Jonathan Aremu (2005)[A]
1. Professor Bola Ayeni (May 2002 - September 2004) 
Covenant University is a leading private institution in Nigeria based on number of prospective students/applicants that seeks to get admitted; Its admission requirements, cited scholarly journals and annual rankings. In January 2015, it was ranked as the best university in Nigeria according to Webometrics. A publication by Vanguard, that segregated universities in Nigeria into Grade A, B, etc. based on JAMB score ceiling; categorized Covenant University as a "Grade A" university. The National Universities Commission in 2016, listed Covenant University as the best private school in Nigeria. In 2017, the university retained its position as Nigeria's best private institution according to the same government agency.  Again, in August 2017, Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry awarded Covenant University with the best private university in Nigeria award. These feat was also reported in 2013 and 2014.
Covenant University has been statistically rated as the most preferred private university in Nigeria among university seekers since the public availability of Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board data in 2014. It was the most sought-after private school in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
According to Elsevier, data from 2011 to 2015 show that Covenant University publications was rated number one in Wind power, Wind and turbine, Corrosion inhibitors, Carbon steel; and the second best in trade, Remittance, Effect and housing; Residential satisfaction, satisfaction among all universities worldwide. Another report by Daily Independent newspaper which analyzed Elsevier Scival metrics showed that publications in Computer Science, Engineering, Business Management and Accounting from Covenant University ranked tops in Nigeria.
In 2016, Africa Leadership Magazine listed Covenant University as one of the universities of excellence to be honoured in South Africa.
At the Presidential Special Scholarship Scheme for Innovation and Development (PRESSID), which is an annual initiative by the Federal government of Nigeria to provide scholarship abroad to students that graduated with first class degrees from Nigerian universities, Covenant University had the highest number of students that scaled through the aptitude examination among all universities in Nigeria during the 2013, 2014 and 2015 academic sessions.
A 2017 collaborative study by Stutern, Jobberman and BudgIT reveal that graduates from Covenant University are the "most employable" in Nigeria. The study was criticized by some stakeholders for not having a large sample size.
Techcabal rated Covenant University as having the best software developers in Nigeria. The school was also listed as having one of the best five postgraduate schools in Nigeria by Nigeria Bulletin. In Janaurry 2018, a Covenant University student, Ubani Peculiar Chinaemerem was awarded the best marketing student by the National Institute of Marketing of Nigeria among all students in Nigerian universities. At the maiden CFA Institute Research challenge, Covenant University defeated University of Lagos and Obafemi Awolowo University to second and third place respectively to become Nigeria first representative at the global competition in Dublin, Ireland. In 2018, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology awarded the school first position in innovative technology among all universities in Nigeria. The school was placed third in the 2017 edition.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Covenant University.|
- Acting Vice Chancellor
- "The Vice Chancellor". Covenant University. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- Covenant University partners USAID on health, leadership skills
- "NUC 2017 Ranking: UI Best In Nigeria; LASU Best State University; Covenant Best Private University + Full List Of Ranking". thegazellenews.com. January 30, 2017. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "EDUCATIONJAMB: UNILORIN, LASU, Covenant Universities top applicants' choice in 2017 [Full list]". Dailypost. August 30, 2017. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- Apata, Oyeniran (November 29, 2017). "Covenant Leads In Computer Science, Engineering, Others In Nigeria". The_Daily_Independent_(Lagos_newspaper). Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- admin. "Top 10 Private Universities In Nigeria". Rankings Nigeria. Retrieved 2018-01-04.
- Wahab, Akinbayo (January 14, 2018). "CU emerges Africa's 3rd best in Computer Science Publication". Pulse. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Living Faith Church Odedepo react video Urging members to kill". www.vanguardngr.com. Vanguard.
- "NPUGA: About us". npuga.org. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Nigeria - Global Open Access Portal". UNESCO. Retrieved 2017-05-06.
- "Youth group holds summit on exceptional leadership". Guardian. June 8, 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-01-02. Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- "Interview With Ishaya Bako – AMAA Film Award Winner". Ventures Africa. 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- 01.12.2012. "BN Saturday Celebrity Interview: It's Show Time! Soul Singer, Bez dishes on Love, Fame & Music as he Counts Down to His "Super Sun Concert"". Bellanaija.com. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-01-02. Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- admin. "Spellz". NotJustOk.
- "Nobel laureate joins Covenant varsity". newtelegraphonline.com. Archived from the original on 11 August 2014. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "Covenant varsity don discovers way to eradicate malaria". vanguardngr.com. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "We aim to eradicate malaria in Africa – Ezekiel Adebiyi". Vanguard (Nigeria). Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- Adelaja, Bose (March 22, 2012). "Where are the Ekiti professors?". Vanguard (Nigeria). Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "CU Unveils Professor AAA. Atayero as New Vice-Chancellor". covenantuniversity.edu.ng. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Atayero Succeeds Ayo as Covenant University Vice-Chancellor". covenantuniversity.edu.ng. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Covenant University appoints Dr. Jonathan Aremu Professor of International Economic Relations". Covenant University. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Covenant University Honours Professors Ayeni, Obayan". Covenant University. November 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "Latest Webometrics Ranking of Nigerian Universities, OAU Tops". ngscholars.com. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Kukogho Iruesiri, Samson (February 16, 2015). "Oyedepo's Covenant University named best in Nigeria, 15th in Africa ...beats UNILORIN, OAU, others". Pulse. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- "Grade 'A' university cut-off marks: OAU, UNN 41 others lead with 180-200 – Investigations". Vanguard. September 11, 2017. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- Idegu, Yusufu (January 14, 2016). "NUC ranks UNIJOS 2nd best". The Nation. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Covenant University wins best private university 2017". Nigeria Today. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- admin. "Lagos oldest serving teacher, principal bag awards". The Punch. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Top 50 Universities in Nigeria 2013- Ranking Published by National University Commission (NUC)". Information Nigeria. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Covenant University emerges best private university". Vanguard. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Official JAMB Statistics of university candidates". school.com.ng. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "JAMB UTME 2014 Registration Statistics with List of Universities". myschool.com.ng. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Most Sought after universities in Nigeria". myschoolgist.com. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- Oni, Olamide. "Here is a list of the top ten most sought-after institutions in Nigeria". Pulse. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- Atueyi, Ujunwa (May 18, 2017). "Covenant tops in research endeavours among universities". The_Guardian_(Nigeria). Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- Oni, Olamide. "Varsities honoured in South Africa". Pulse. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- Reporter (April 24, 2015). "Covenant University's first class graduates dominate scheme". The Nation. Retrieved 2017-10-20.
- "Top 20 Nigerian universities with most EMPLOYABLE graduates". Naij.com. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "THERE IS WIDESPREAD UNDER-COMPENSATION OF NIGERIAN GRADUATES AT LOCAL COMPANIES". Ventures Africa. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Why this private school produces the most employable graduates". Pulse Nigeria. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Covenant University makes Top 10 in Research". The Punch. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Expert sees bias in Stutern Report on Varsities that produce most employable graduates". Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- Popoola, Bolade (June 11, 2015). "Seven Top Nigerian Universities Where Nigerian Developers Come From". Techcabal. Retrieved 2017-11-12.
- "Top 5 Universities In Nigeria For Postgraduate Studies".
- "Expert Tasks Marketing Practitioners, Students To Identify Core Competences". Independence Newspaper. Retrieved 2018-02-06.
- "Covenant University Wins Maiden CFA Institute Research Competition". Eagle online. Retrieved 2018-02-06.
- "Covenant University to represent Nigeria at global CFA Institute Research competition". Guardian.ng. Retrieved 2018-02-06.
- "FG Urges Nigerians To Value, Use Made In Nigeria Products". Eagle Online. Retrieved 2018-03-25.
- "Onu: Why We Organised 2017 Technology and Innovation Expo". Retrieved 2018-03-25.
- 28.02.2013 (2013-02-28). "Student Expelled from Covenant University for Watching Pornography drags School to Court". Bellanaija.com. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Africa | Nigeria probes HIV graduate test". BBC News. 2007-08-20. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Covenant University expels 200 students for not attending Church service - Vanguard News". Vanguardngr.com. 2012-12-29. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "NANS condemns Covenant University for students' expulsion | Premium Times Nigeria". Premiumtimesng.com. 2013-01-17. Retrieved 2014-08-02.