Coventry Arena railway station
|Local authority||West Midlands|
|Managed by||London Midland|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|UK Railways portal|
It will be located on the Coventry-Nuneaton Line, providing Park and Ride facilities thanks to the stadium's large parking facilities. The station is planned to have two platforms on the existing double tracked line.
In August 2012 it was announced that construction of the new station was to start in December of that year and take approximately 12 months to complete, with the station due to open in December 2013.
As of September 2013 construction had still not commenced, mainly due to uncertainty surrounding Coventry City F.C.'s future at the Ricoh Arena. The estimated completion date was pushed to mid-2015.
In December 2013 it was announced that plans have hit another setback and are not expected to be complete until 2017.
However, in April 2014 it was announced that construction works are scheduled to start in May 2014 with completion in May 2015.
No previous station has existed at this site, however the former Longford and Exhall station, which closed in 1949 was situated a few hundred metres to the north.
|Preceding station||Future services||Following station|
- West Midlands Rail vision: Rail Development Strategy[dead link]
- "Coventry to Nuneaton rail upgrade given go ahead". BBC. 14 December 2011. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Ricoh station plans up and running". Rail.co. 1 August 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "Ricoh station plan remains on track". Coventry Observer (Bullivant Media). 11 September 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Long-awaited Coventry-Nuneaton rail line hit by four-year delay". Coventry Telegraph (Trinity Mirror). 21 December 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "New stations for Coventry to Nuneaton rail line". Department for Transport. 3 April 2014.
- "Work to start on two new rail stations in Coventry and Nuneaton". Coventry Telegraph (Trinity Mirror). 26 June 2014. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Work starts on new Ricoh Arena station". Coventry Telegraph. 6 October 2014. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Coventry's long-awaited Ricoh Arena railway station on track for completion". Coventry Telegraph (Trinity Mirror). 24 March 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Work on new Ricoh Arena railway station goes full steam ahead". Coventry Telegraph (Trinity Mirror). 24 April 2015. Retrieved 24 April 2015.