Cowboy Ninja Viking
|Cowboy Ninja Viking|
Cover to Cowboy Ninja Viking #1.
Art by Dave Casey.
|Publication date||October 21, 2009 – November 10, 2010|
|No. of issues||10|
|Created by||A. J. Lieberman|
|Written by||A. J. Lieberman|
|Volume 1||ISBN 1-60706-261-5|
|Volume 2||ISBN 1-60706-344-1|
The first appearance of the comic characters is in a 6-page preview in Bomb Queen Vol 6 issue 1 published in September and the 1st issue of the main title coming out in October.
Writer A.J. Lieberman describes the creation of the series:
|“||Initially Riley wanted to do something with a Dystopian near-future setting. And while I first started circling the character I tried shoe horning him into these very "cool" locales. […] Anyway, none felt right. Just forced. They took themselves too seriously which wasn't what I really wanted to do coming off of my Batman stuff. So I stepped back and realized the character was the concept – I literally said that out loud to myself. Once I had that – I relaxed and the humorous side of the concept started to come out.||”|
The series revolves around a counter-intelligence unit of multiple personality disorder patients, formed by psychotherapist Dr. Sebastian Ghislain, who are transformed into agents known as Triplets (referring to the three different personalities inside their minds). It is hinted that this is possible through experimental psychiatric conditioning and treatment, psychotropic drugs, and past life regression therapy. After the unit falls apart, its various members are turned into hired killers. Duncan, a Triplet who channels the skills of a Cowboy, Ninja, and Viking, is sent to find and stop the rogue Triplets.
Major Characters of CNV
- Dr. Sebastian Ghislain - The Creator of the Government's Triplet Program. While not a triplet himself his personality appears as a brilliant psychotherapist and a womanizing playboy/boozehound. He also has a penchant for professional backgammon.
- Sara Nix - Assistant to Dr. Ghislain, Sara plays Duncan's love interest who recruits him and travels with him on their mission to find the other triplets for Dr. Ghislain and protect them from the antagonist Dr. Blaq. But a character plot twist awaits at the end of Vol.1
- Dr. Johann Blaq - Ghislain's former protege and antagonist of the story. His motives are not yet known.
- Sashsa - Ghislain's personal pilot and body guard.
- Duncan (Cowboy - Ninja - Viking) - The titular character and most effective assassin the program produced.
- Carl (Army Staff Sergeant - Apache Indian - Scottish Highlander) - Duncan's brother and also one of the most effective assassins as all 3 personalities revolve around combat. it is hinted that Duncan killed him in San Cristobal previous to the plot of volume 1 to prevent him from killing Missionaries during their trial mission. His Highlander Persononality claimed to be *"Seamus McManus of the clan McManus. Born to Angus of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Schiel."
- Xia Xia Xian (Sniper - Archer - Clothing Designer)
- Steed Malbranque (Hitman - Navy Seal - Roadie for Dokken)
- Peyton Vermeer (Mohawk Indian - Playboy - Spartan)
- Philippe De Montebello (Hair Stylist - Conquistador - Cowboy) - Gunned down by Duncan in Volume 1.
- Emerson Blancpain (Amish - Demo Expert - Army Captain)
- Lara St. Britt (Flight Attendant - Joan of Arc - Amazonian Warrior)
- Johnny Vellum (Conquistador - Green Beret - Surfer)
- Toffler Almric (Mad Scientist - Napoleonic General - Spanish Cavalier)
- Patrick O'Fallon (Applebee's Waiter - Army Sergeant - Frontiersman) - Decapitated by Duncan at the end of volume 2.
- Viscount Wölfer (Executioner - Sports Broadcaster - Samurai)
- Yashitiko Ammo (Pirate - Gladiator - Oceanographer) - Arguably one of the most centered characters within the plot.
- Grear Fulkirk (Sniper - Chef - Martial Artist) - Duncan's ex-wife and a rival to Nix.
- Blancpain Emerson (Diminish - Expert Alpha - Navy Captain)
The series has been collected into trade paperbacks:
- Volume 1 (collects issues #1-5, June 2010, ISBN 1-60706-261-5)
- Volume 2 (collects issues #6-10, February 2011, ISBN 1-60706-344-1)
In 2010 it was announced that Disney had purchased the rights to make a film adaptation of the comic book. Zombieland screenwriters Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese were slated to pen the film's screenplay. Disney dropped the film in turnaround and Universal acquired the rights in 2012, with World War Z director Marc Forster attached to direct, and Craig Mazin attached to write the script. On November 20, 2014, Chris Pratt was cast as the lead. On January 29, 2015, John Wick directors David Leitch and Chad Stahelski were in early talks to replace Forster, who left the project. On January 31, 2018, Michelle MacLaren was confirmed as director for the film. On May 19, 2018, Dan Mazeau and Ryan Engle were brought on board to work on the screenplay. In June 2018, Pratt confirmed MacLaren and members of the production team were in Berlin testing actors, with filming to commence in July. On July 30, 2018, Priyanka Chopra was cast in the lead female role opposite Pratt. The film was set to release on June 28, 2019 but was pulled in August 2018 from its release schedule. As of August 2018, it is considered in active development, the delay accommodating production scheduling and script concerns.
- Guerrero, Tony (2009-12-11). "Interview: A.J. Lieberman, Writer Cowboy, Ninja, Viking". Comic Vine. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- ""Cowboy Ninja Viking" Debuts A Hero For The Schizophrenic In Us All". Comic Book Resources. 2009-08-21. Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- Nemiroff, Perri (November 8, 2010). "'Zombieland' Writers to Attack 'Cowboy Ninja Viking'". Cinemactical. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- White, James (February 28, 2012). "Forster Saddles Up Cowboy Ninja Viking". Empire. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- Blacker, Ben (April 15, 2014). "The Scriptnotes/Nerdist Writers Panel Crossover part 2!". Nerdist Industries. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- Chitwood, Adam (November 18, 2014). "Exclusive: Chris Pratt to Star in COWBOY NINJA VIKING [Update: Pratt Confirmed His Casting]". Collider. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (January 29, 2015). "Universal Eyes 'John Wick' Directors for 'Cowboy Ninja Viking' With Chris Pratt (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved January 29, 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (January 31, 2018). "Chris Pratt's 'Cowboy Ninja Viking' Taps 'Game of Thrones' Director Michelle MacLaren". Variety. Retrieved June 2, 2018.
- "Chris Pratt-headlined Cowboy Ninja Viking gets two new writers". Flickeringmyth. May 19, 2018. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- Oller, Jacob. "DEVELOPMENT ROUNDUP: CHRIS PRATT SET TO FILM COWBOY NINJA VIKING; DARK CREATORS SIGN NETFLIX DEAL". Syfy. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- "Priyanka Chopra Nabs Female Lead Opposite Chris Pratt in 'Cowboy Ninja Viking'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- Kroll, Justin (2018-07-30). "Priyanka Chopra to Star Opposite Chris Pratt in 'Cowboy Ninja Viking'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- Kroll, Justin (August 7, 2018). "Chris Pratt's 'Cowboy Ninja Viking' Pulled From Universal's Release Schedule". variety. Retrieved August 7, 2018.
- Barfield, Charles. "Michelle MacLaren's Directorial Debut 'Cowboy Ninja Viking' Starring Chris Pratt Shelved At Universal". The Playlist. Retrieved October 6, 2018.