The Cowtown Marathon is an annual marathon held every last weekend in February in Fort Worth, Texas. The two-day activities include two 5Ks, a 10K, the half marathon, marathon and ultra marathon. With 29,000 participants in 2014, the Cowtown is the largest multi-event in Texas.
The Cowtown Marathon was founded by the University of North Texas Health Science Center in 1978, with proceeds benefiting local charities and non-profit organizations. The Cowtown Children's Activities for Life & Fitness Program provides training, grants and running shoes to children in need. Current non-profits include the American Cancer Society, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and Team RWB which is a support organization for wounded veterans and their families. The program gave away 2,100 pairs of new running shoes to children in 2013.
The Cowtown marathon and ultra marathon are Boston Marathon qualifying events. The Cowtown Cook Children's 5K race was named the top kids running event in the nation by USA Running, with 5,300 children registered to run in 2012.
In 2012 Scott Downard of Norman, Okla., finished first in the Cowtown marathon by outrunning his competitors by more than six minutes. However, Downard was disqualified because he was not registered and he was wearing another person's bib. Runner-up Kolin Styles became the winner. Styles' brother Koby won the ultra marathon.
In 2014 Michael Wardian, a four-time USA Track and Field Ultra Runner of the Year, sped around the 31-mile course in 3 hours and 21 minutes, shattering the course record by slightly more than 10 minutes.
In 2015 Cowtown and city officials cancelled all events except the half-marathon, citing safety concerns about the secondary streets in shaded neighborhoods because of a snow and ice storm. About 30,000 runners had registered for the weekend's races.
- Course Records Broken at 36th Cowtown Marathon
- The Cowtown Celebrates 35 Years with New Records - Running USA, February 27, 2013
- Cowtown marathon to include UNTHSC name
- Cowtown Marathon - 2012 Brochure
- Free Shoes Let Kids Pick Up the Pace - NBC News
- The Cowtown Provides Grants And New Balance Running Shoes To 2,100 Local School Children
- Cowtown Marathon - Course Maps
- Cowtown Marathon - FAQs
- Cowtown Kids 5K race grows into best in nation (Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Feb. 24, 2012)
- Cowtown marathon's first finisher disqualified; runner-up wins - Fort Worth Star-Telegram
- Elite runner shatters record in Cowtown ultra marathon
- Cowtown cancels marathon, ultra; half still on
- Cowtown Marathon, Ultra Marathon canceled Sunday; half-marathon will go on