Cox Ford Covered Bridge
|Cox Ford Covered Bridge|
|National Register of Historic Places|
|Official name: Cox Ford Covered Bridge|
|Named for: Cox Ford|
|Road||Cox Ford Road|
|City||Sugar Creek, Indiana|
|Length||176 ft (54 m) 160ft +8ft overhangs on each end|
|Width||16 ft (5 m)|
|Clearance||13 ft (4 m)|
|Builder||Joseph A. Britton|
|Design||Burr arch truss bridge|
|Built||1913 Original Cost $4,235|
|Owner||Parke County Commissioners
|WGCB Number||#14-61-34 |
|Added to NRHP||December 22, 1978|
|NRHP Ref#||78000390 |
|MPS||Parke County Covered Bridges TR|
Location of Indiana in the United States
The Cox Ford Covered Bridge crosses Sugar Creek along the west edge of Turkey Run State Park, Parke County.
This single span Burr Arch truss structure has a length of 160 ft (49 m), or 176 ft (54 m) including the 8 ft (2.4 m) overhang at each end, with a portal clearance 16 ft (4.9 m) wide by 13 ft (4.0 m) in height. Built in 1913 by Joseph A. Britton, the Cox Ford Covered Bridge has a rather unusual distinction as it was built to replace a steel bridge lost in the 1913 flood; the arches used to construction this structure were from the Armiesburg Covered Bridge, built 60 years earlier and also washed out during the 1913 flood.
During the Great Depression, the Cox Ford Covered Bridge received a new coat of paint that was applied by a Works Progress Administration group, and though no historical marker is present, the bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. It is listed in the 1989 World Guide to Covered Bridges, published by The National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, Inc., as #14-61-34; however, the designation used by Parke County officials is #14-61-36. In the February 1938 Indiana History Bulletin, Robert B. Yule and Richard C. Smith assigned the designation 'sg' to this Covered Timber Bridge located in Section 28, Township 17 North, and Range 7 West, about 1/2 a mile west of Turkey Run State Park.
- List of Registered Historic Places in Indiana
- Parke County Covered Bridges
- Parke County Covered Bridge Festival
- "Cox Ford Covered Bridge (#36)". coveredbridges.com. Parke County Incorporated / Parke County Convention and Visitors Commission. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-31. Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Indiana State Historic Architectural and Archaeological Research Database (SHAARD)" (Searchable database). Department of Natural Resources, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. Retrieved 2016-06-01. Note: This includes Charles Felkner (December 1977). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Parke County Covered Bridge Historic District" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-06-01., Site map, and Accompanying photographs.
- "Cox Ford Covered Bridge". County History Preservation Society. Archived from the original on 20 October 2002. Retrieved 20 June 2016.