|Dam||Ride the Trails|
|Breeder||John A. Nerud|
|Owner||John A. Nerud|
|Trainer||Jan H. Nerud|
Breeders' Cup wins:
Breeders' Cup Mile (1985)
|American Champion Male Turf Horse (1985)|
|Last updated on September 14, 2008|
Cozzene (May 8, 1980 – October 7, 2008) is an American Champion Thoroughbred racehorse and outstanding sire. He was bred and raced by U.S. Racing Hall of Fame inductee John A. Nerud and trained by his son, Jan.
Cozzene began racing at age three, winning three of six starts. At age four he won three more races from ten starts and ran third in the Breeders' Cup Mile. In 1985, the then five-year-old Cozzene had his best year in racing with wins in won four of eight starts. The previous year, in the inaugural running of the Breeders' Cup Mile at Hollywood Park Racetrack, Cozzene had finished third but came back to win the November 2, 1985 edition at Aqueduct Racetrack . His 1985 performances earned him the 1985 Eclipse Award for American Champion Male Turf Horse.
Cozzene was euthanized on October 7, 2008 at Gainesway Farm in Kentucky. The stallion had had melanoma, a disease many gray horses get, for years but it had not caused him any pain until recently.
As a sire
Retired to stud duty, in 1996 Cozzene was the Leading sire in North America and in 2002 the Leading International Sire. He stands at Gainesway Farm in Lexington, Kentucky. During his career he has sired thirty-one graded stakes winners and fourteen millionaires including:
- Cozzene's Prince (b. 1987) - millionaire 1993 Canadian Champion Older Male Horse
- Star of Cozzene (b. 1988) - multiple Grade 1 winner and earner of more than $2.3 million
- Environment Friend (b. 1988) - English Champion, winner of Eclipse Stakes
- Tikkanen (b. 1991) - won Breeders' Cup Turf, earner of more than $1.5 million
- Alphabet Soup (b. 1991) - won 1996 Breeders' Cup Classic, earned more than $2.9 million
- Eishin Berlin (b. 1992) - earner of more than $3.5 million in Japan
- Chorwon (b. 1993) - millionaire, won three straight runnings of the Louisville Handicap
- Admire Cozzene (b. 1996) - earner of more than $3.1 million in Japan
- Star Over The Bay (b. 1998) - multiple stakes winner of $917,353