|Single by Noisestorm|
|from the album Monstercat Instinct Vol. 1|
|Released||1 April 2018|
|Noisestorm singles chronology|
"Crab Rave" won Best Original Track (Solo) in the Tropical House & Commercial Deep House category on the Best of 2018 voted by the r/EDM subreddit. The song was originally released as part of the compilation album Monstercat Instinct Vol. 1, released 15 June 2018. It was later featured as part of Monstercat's Best of 2018 compilation album, released on 14 December 2018. It peaked at #14 on Billboard's Dance/Electronic Songs chart.
Background and release
On 1 April 2018, the song was released as a digital download on international digital stores through Canadian record label Monstercat, as well as being released through various music streaming services. "Crab Rave" was featured on the compilation album titled Monstercat Instinct Vol. 1 released on 15 June 2018. The song was later featured on the yearly best-of compilation album titled Monstercat – Best Of 2018 released on 14 December 2018.
In 2015, Epic Games launched Unreal Dev Grants, a $5 million development fund aiming to provide grants to creative projects using Unreal Engine 4. In November 2018, Epic announced that it would award a further $800,000 to more than 30 individuals and teams, including O'Broin for his efforts in creating the music video for "Crab Rave", featuring thousands of computer-generated dancing crabs.
On 1 April 2019, Czech-based indie studio Beat Games announced that "Crab Rave" was to be released onto their virtual reality rhythm game Beat Saber. The song was intentionally released on April Fools' Day to celebrate the first anniversary of the song's original release.
The song marked the first appearance of O'Broin in the Billboard charts, with the song debuting at number 36 on the "Hot Dance/Electronic Songs" category. The song gained 1 million (U.S) online streams, in the week ending 22 November. The song has since become the second most popular video across both of Monstercat's YouTube channels, surpassing Monstercat: Instinct's second most popular video by 13 times. As of April 2020[update], the music video has gained over 100 million views on the "Monstercat: Instinct" YouTube channel.
On 22 January 2019, it was revealed that the song won Best Original Track (Solo) in the Tropical House & Commercial Deep House category on the Best of 2018 by the r/EDM subreddit with 226 participants.
"Crab Rave" was initially released as a small April Fool's Day joke, although it soon gained popularity after becoming an Internet meme due to the music video's uplifting theme and dancing crabs. In an interview with Suzana Palyan of Billboard, O'Broin expressed his appreciation for its growing popularity, writing "It's incredibly cool to see people enjoying it for the humour and video, as well as for the music itself. I really didn't anticipate the wave of new listeners and the plethora of memes based on the original; it's very fun to see the new creative variations being made every day." The music video was developed by O'Broin using the program Unreal Engine.
O'Broin has further expressed his gratitude with the song's popularity, stating that he never expected the song to become so popular and for it to become an Internet meme, writing "Honestly, I had no idea. It just happened – and the cool thing is it happened completely by itself. I just put it out as a funny video and whoever made the 'Obama is Gone' meme kind of kicked everything off. It's fun to go around and read the latest comments because people are always making new versions of the meme and progressing it. I definitely didn't expect it."
In 2019, Noisestorm announced a video game, Crab Champions, developed solely by O'Broin. The game is to be cross-genre, with elements of the third-person shooter, 3D platformer, racing game and 3D fighting game, and it is slated to be released on Microsoft Windows.[self-published source?] O'Broin stated that if the game will initially perform well on Microsoft Windows, there's a chance it will get ported onto consoles. The game, while first teased on April First and believed to be an April Fool's joke, was later clarified to be a serious announcement, drawing in anticipation. The game was initially announced with an early access release date of 20 August 2020, which was delayed beyond November 2020.[self-published source?]
In other media
"Crab Rave" was referenced in the first-person shooter Battlefield V in the multiplayer map Wake Island, based on its real-life counterpart. A tribute easter egg dedicated to fans of the Battlefield franchise featured a remix of the Battlefield theme in the style of "Crab Rave". To unlock the easter egg, players must find several crabs across the island, scurrying off if the player approaches. If the player approaches enough crabs, the player can access a pair of headphones found on the map that allows them to hear a message in morse code from a radio station. Decoding the message reveals to several coordinates around Wake Island and going to these would be the location of vinyl records, which each play the themes of previous Battlefield games. If enough vinyl records are collected, a rave consisting of dancing crabs will dance to a remix of the Battlefield theme.
Continuing the tradition of events occurring on April Fools' Day, 2019 saw virtual reality rhythm game Beat Saber add the song as playable DLC for free. The map was noted for its difficulty, and later in 2019, a new map of the song was added to the game, this time in 360 Degrees.
In July 2019, a leak for the free-to-play game Fortnite Battle Royale revealed a dance emote titled "Crabby" was being added to the game. It was noted by a Dot Esports editor that it was likely inspired by "Crab Rave" and was added to the game because of the song's increasingly popular music video.
|Worldwide||1 April 2018||Digital download||"Crab Rave"||Monstercat|||
|15 June 2018||Monstercat Instinct Vol. 1|||
|14 December 2018||Monstercat – Best Of 2018|||
- Meadow, Matthew (22 January 2019). "EDM Reddit Reveals Best of 2018 Voting Results At Long Last". Your EDM. Archived from the original on 3 April 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- Meadow, Matthew (29 November 2018). "This EDM April Fools Joke Is Actually Charting On Billboard". Your EDM. Archived from the original on 30 November 2018. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- Callison, Bradley (27 June 2018). "Monstercat Drops 'Instinct Vol. 1' Compilation". Noiseporn. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- "Monstercat's unveils "Best Of 2018" album featuring this year's best releases!". T.H.E - Music Essentials. 15 December 2018. Retrieved 8 June 2019.
- "Epic Games Awards $800,000 in Unreal Dev Grants". GameDev.net. Archived from the original on 12 December 2018. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Beat Saber Adds Crab Rave For Free In New Update". UploadVR. 2 April 2019. Archived from the original on 3 April 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "Crab Rave is the Latest Free Beat Saber Song, Available Now". PlayStation LifeStyle. 1 April 2019. Archived from the original on 3 April 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- Monstercat: Instinct, Noisestorm - Crab Rave [Monstercat Release], archived from the original on 9 November 2018, retrieved 12 December 2018
- "RL Grime, 1788-L, And REZZ Dominate r/EDM's 2018 Best Of EDM Awards". Run The Trap: The Best EDM, Hip Hop & Trap Music. 22 January 2019. Archived from the original on 3 April 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- Sierra, Matt (24 January 2019). "The Best Dance Music Of 2018 As Voted By Reddit". EDMTunes. Archived from the original on 3 April 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- Stevo (4 December 2018). "This EDM April Fool's Meme Has Just Entered Into Billboard's Hot Dance/Electronic Songs Chart". EDM Sauce. Archived from the original on 12 December 2018. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- "Billboard Dance Chart Upstarts: Nora En Pure, Noisestorm and CamelPhat x Cristoph". Billboard. Archived from the original on 30 November 2018. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "October Feature: Noisestorm". Monstercat. Archived from the original on 12 December 2018. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- "Crab Champions is a Real Game That New Gameplay Footage Has Been Released For (and it Looks Pretty Rad)". DualShockers. 4 August 2019. Retrieved 9 January 2020.
- "Crab Champions Gameplay Trailer". YouTube. 28 May 2020. Retrieved 28 May 2020.
- "Solo Project From The Creator Of Crab Rave, CRAB CHAMPIONS, Claws Its Way To Steam Early Access Later This Year". GameTyrant. Retrieved 14 November 2020.
- "Crab Champions - Development Update #1". Steam. Retrieved 13 November 2020.
- Zdanowicz, Mateusz (19 December 2019). "Battlefield 5 z easter-eggiem nawiązującym do mema - tańczące kraby na Wake Island". Eurogamer (in Polish). Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- Sheridan 2019-12-18T15:59:35Z, Connor. "Battlefield 5 Wake Island Easter egg thanks longtime fans with a crab dance party". GamesRadar+. Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- "Battlefield V Easter Egg Summons Raucous Crab Rave". Kotaku. 19 December 2019. Retrieved 31 December 2019.
- "Beat Saber adds Crab Rave for free in new Update". UploadVR. 2 April 2019. Retrieved 28 May 2020.
- "Beat Saber adds Green Day Music Pack and 360 Levels". Variety. 12 December 2019. Retrieved 28 May 2020.
- Walker, Ben (1 July 2019). "Fortnite accidentally leaks Crab Rave-inspired emote on social media". Dot Esports. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- Crab Rave - Single by Noisestorm, retrieved 8 June 2019
- "EDM Music & Dance Songs Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 8 June 2019.
- "Hot Dance/Electronic Songs – Year-End 2019". Billboard. Retrieved 6 December 2019.