|Origin||Stockton, California, USA|
|Genres||Indie rock, indie pop, dream pop, synthpop|
|Associated acts||Emily Reo, Blouse, Beach Fossils|
Justin Vallesteros |
Cameron Spencer Case
Live members: |
Jack Doyle Smith
Craft Spells is an American indie rock/dream pop band from Stockton, California, formed in late 2009 by Justin Vallesteros. To date, Craft Spells has released two studio albums, Idle Labor (2011) and Nausea (2014) on the Captured Tracks label.
Towards the end of 2009, Justin Vallesteros began experimenting with simple synth and guitar lines, gradually layering them to create the sound that would become Craft Spells. After signing with Captured Tracks the band released their debut full-length, Idle Labor, in early 2011 and went on tour with Beach Fossils. The album was described as a soft, synthy, dreamy compendium of new wave and 80s pop similar to New Order with Vallesteros voice style sounding similar to Ian Curtis.
The band's next EP, Gallery, was released on 2012. It was followed by their second LP, Nausea on 2014.
- Idle Labor (2011)
- Nausea (2014)
- Gallery (2012)
- Midnight Render (Nausea Rebuild) (2016)
- Party Talk (2010)
- After The Moment (2011)
- Gruesome Flowers 2: A Tribute to The Wake (2012) (with Blouse)
- Breaking the Angle Against the Tide (2014)
- Our Park By Night (2015)
- Clancy, Daniel. "Craft Spells". AllMusic. Retrieved February 14, 2017.
- Stosuy, Brandon. "Craft Spells – "From The Morning Heat"". Stereogum. Retrieved February 14, 2017.
- Kivel, Adam. "Craft Spells – Idle Labor". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved February 14, 2017.
- Cohen, Ian. "Craft Spells: Idle Labor". Pitchfork. Retrieved February 14, 2017.