November 29, 1983 |
Fort Smith, Arkansas
|September 6, 2009, for the Texas Rangers|
(through 2015 season)
|Runs batted in||80|
Craig Alan Gentry (born November 29, 1983) is an American professional baseball center fielder in the Oakland Athletics organization. He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Texas Rangers from 2009 through 2013.
Gentry attended the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith during his freshman and sophomore year.  He then attended the University of Arkansas, where he played college baseball for the Arkansas Razorbacks baseball team. The Texas Rangers selected him in the 10th round (298th overall) of the 2006 MLB Draft.
The Rangers promoted Gentry to the majors on September 1, 2009, but did not see significant playing time. He began the 2010 season with the AAA Oklahoma City RedHawks, but was called up to the majors on April 27 due to Nelson Cruz being placed on the 15-day disabled list. On May 15, he was optioned to Oklahoma.
In 2011, he batted .271 in 133 at-bats, with 18 steals in 18 attempts.
Gentry hit his first MLB triple on September 11 against the Oakland Athletics. A few days later, on September 23 he hit his first Major League home run, an inside-the-park home run against the Seattle Mariners. At the end of the season, he was named the Rangers' Rookie of the Year.
In 2012, Gentry batted .304, a career high. He also hit his first outside-the-park home run, a two-run homer in left in Toronto on April 30. Gentry pitched the final inning of a 12–1 loss at the hands of the Oakland Athletics on June 4. He allowed two runs on three hits and a walk.
In 2013, Gentry hit two home runs, stole 24 bases and had an on-base percentage of .373 all career highs. He broke his left hand in June against the Oakland Athletics on a bunt attempt. Gentry was named Rangers' player of the month in September batting .354 with 10 stolen bases, 10 runs, 2 doubles, a triple and four RBI. He also won the Rangers' Wilson Defensive Player of the Year Award. In 102 games, he committed only two errors, had seven outfield assists, he saved 12 runs and had the best UZR of the team.
Gentry missed much of spring training in 2014, due to a lower back strain he suffered on the first day of workouts. Gentry played most of the season with a sore knee. On July 27, he suffered a broken right hand when hit by a pitch during a bunt attempt against the Texas Rangers. Although the injury occurred during the second inning, he played the entire game including four more plate appearances. On September 9, Gentry suffered a season-ending concussion after a collision at first base with Carlos Sanchez of the Chicago White Sox.  Due to his injuries Gentry played in only 94 games. He still managed to finish the season with 20 stolen bases which made him Oakland's leader in that category.
After hitting .120 in 50 at-bats over 26 games for the A's, Gentry was sent down to AAA. He remained in AAA for the rest of the season. He was designated for assignment after the season.
- "UA Fort Smith Athletics". uafortsmithlions.com. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Ticket Office Information". Arkansas Razorbacks. January 24, 2015. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- T.R. Sullivan. "Gentry's callup not a hint about Byrd". mlb.com. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- "Craig Gentry Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- "A's eliminated from playoff race with loss". go.com. September 11, 2011. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Craig Gentry's first homer one to remember". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Minor league award winners announced". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Rangers place Gentry on DL, call up E. Beltre". Texas Rangers. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Craig Gentry Career Home Runs - Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "June 4, 2012 Texas Rangers at Oakland Athletics Play by Play and Box Score". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved June 21, 2012.
- "Craig Gentry Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Rangers Activate Matt West from 60-Day DL". NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Rangers' Craig Gentry earns honors for defense". Texas Rangers. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "The Texas Rangers trade Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom to A’s for Chris Bostick, Michael Choice". Texas Rangers Blog. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Gentry still out with lower back strain". Oakland Athletics. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "A’s injury updates; the outlook for Sam Fuld, Michael Taylor". Oakland Athletics : The Drumbeat. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "A's notes: Vogt, Gentry contributing despite lingering injuries". CSN Bay Area. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Craig Gentry breaks hand — A’s call up Billy Burns". Oakland Athletics : The Drumbeat. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Oakland Athletics' Craig Gentry sustains concussion during collision". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Craig Gentry Stats, Fantasy & News". Oakland Athletics. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Sortable Player Stats". Oakland Athletics. Retrieved November 20, 2015.