Craig J. N. de Paulo
|The Most Reverend
Craig J. N. de Paulo
|Primate of the Old Catholic Confederation and Archbishop of the United States|
|Ordination||June 23, 2007
by Robert Mikhail Moskal
|Consecration||September 14, 2013
by Peter Paul Brennan, Rodney R. Michel, William J. Manseau
January 1, 1968 |
|Occupation||Bishop, philosopher, theologian, professor|
|Education||Pontificia Universita Gregoriana
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
University of Fribourg
La Salle University
Craig John Neumann de Paulo (born 1968) is an American bishop, philosopher and theologian. He is the current Primate of the Old Catholic Confederation and its archbishop for the United States. He is also the chancellor and Professor of Philosophy and Theology at the Collegium Augustinianum Graduate School of Philosophy and Theology in Orlando, Florida. He has held professorial appointments at the Pontifical Gregorian University, Fordham University, Temple University, Boston College.
De Paulo was ordained to the diaconate in the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church on March 24, 2007, and to the priesthood on June 23, 2007, by Eparch Robert Mikhail Moskal. Later that year, he was installed as pastor in East McKeesport, Pennsylvania. He later separated from the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and was elected a bishop of the OCC on July 21, 2013, and consecrated to the episcopate on September 14, 2013, by Archbishop Peter Paul Brennan.
De Paulo was born in Philadelphia and attended St. John Neumann High School. He received a B.A. degree from La Salle University in 1989. As an undergraduate, he spent a year at the University of Fribourg, Switzerland. He received an M.A. degree from Villanova University in 1991, where he studied Augustine and Heidegger. [clarify] He received a Licentiate in Philosophy in 1994 and a Ph.D. in philosophy in 1995 from the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome.
As rector (2012–2014) of the Collegium Augustininaum Graduate School of Philosophy and Theology, in Orlando, Florida, de Paulo nominated and conferred honorary degrees upon controversial Catholic theologian Hans Küng, Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini, S.J., the late Archbishop of Milan and scripture scholar, and Archbishop Rowan Williams, former Archbishop of Canterbury and Anglican theologian.[relevant? ] De Paulo has also emphasized the ecumenical nature of the college with the appointment of a retired Episcopal Church bishop, Rodney R. Michel, as chancellor of the institution.
Honors and awards
- Knight of Magistral Grace of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (Resigned, December 2013)
- Knight Commander of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem[not in citation given (See discussion.)] (Resigned, December 2013)
- House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies: Knight Jure Sanguinis of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
- House of Savoy: Knight of the Order of Merit of Savoy
- "Collegium Augustinianum news". augustinianum.us. Philadelphia, PA: Collegium Augustinianum. 2014-03-27. Archived from the original on 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "Craig J. N. de Paulo". marquiswhoswho.com. (subscription required (. ))
- http://www.occus.org/primate-and-archbishop, title= Primate of the Old Catholic Confederation and Archbishop of the United States
- "From the 2007 family album". htucc.org. Carnegie, PA: Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church. Archived from the original on 2007-11-02. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "Finding Augustine" author entry[not specific enough to verify]
- Paulo, Craig J. N. de (1995). Being and conversion: a phenomenological ontology of radical restlessness (Ph.D.). Rome: Pontifical Gregorian University. OCLC 493600967.
- 2012 Directory, American Association, Sovreign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta.
- "His Grace, The Most Rev. Craig J. N. de Paulo, Ph.D., D.D". armorial-register.com. Telford: The Armorial Register Limited. Archived from the original on 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "Appointments, admissions and promotions, February 2005". constantinianorder.org. The Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George. Feb 2005. Archived from the original on 2013-04-10. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- "Mass, convocation and investiture for the American delegation at the University Church of St. Joseph". savoydelegation-usa.org. 2004-12-10. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
|Old Catholic Confederation Titles|
|New title||Primate and Archbishop of the United States
2013 – present