Craig Wayne Boyd
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Craig Wayne Boyd|
Craig Wayne Boyd in 2014
|Birth name||Craig Wayne Boyd|
1978/1979 (age 38–39)|
Mesquite, Texas, United States
|Associated acts||Blake Shelton|
Craig Wayne Boyd is an American country singer and songwriter. A native of Dallas, Texas, Boyd is based out of and resides in Nashville, Tennessee. He is best known for winning Season 7 of NBC's reality TV singing competition The Voice as a part of Blake Shelton's team.
Boyd moved to Nashville, Tennessee, at the age of 25 in 2004 to pursue a career in country music. Boyd was signed to a publishing deal with EMI. He spent many years songwriting. Boyd began touring, opening for acts such as Jamey Johnson, Randy Houser, and Brantley Gilbert.
The Voice (2014)
On September 30, 2014, Boyd debuted on seventh season of The Voice. During his Blind Audition, Boyd sang "The Whiskey Ain't Workin'" by Travis Tritt and Marty Stuart. Two coaches (Blake Shelton and Pharrell Williams) turned around. Boyd chose Blake Shelton as his coach. During the Battle Rounds, Boyd was paired with James David Carter to sing "Wave on Wave"" by Pat Green. Coach Shelton chose Carter over Boyd, but Boyd was saved by Coach Gwen Stefani. In the Knockout Rounds, Boyd was paired with Anita Antoinette. Boyd sang "Can't You See" by The Marshall Tucker Band. Boyd lost the round, but was stolen back by Coach Shelton and advanced to the Live Playoffs. During the Live Playoffs, Boyd sang "Some Kind of Wonderful" and was saved by the Public's votes to advance to the Top 12. For the week of the Top 12, Boyd performed "You Look So Good in Love" by George Strait. Boyd was saved by the public's votes. For the week of the Top 10, Boyd performed "I Walk the Line" by Johnny Cash. Boyd was saved by the public vote with his performance in the Top 10 of the iTunes Chart. For the week of the Top Eight, Boyd performed "Take It Easy" by the Eagles. Boyd was saved by the public vote and advanced to the Top Five. For the week of the Semifinals, Coach Shelton picked "Workin' Man Blues" by Merle Haggard for Boyd to sing and Boyd also sang "The Old Rugged Cross" which was in the iTunes Top 10. Boyd advanced to the finals. For the week of the Finals, Boyd performed three songs. He performed "In Pictures" by Alabama as his solo song. He performed "Boots On" by Randy Houser as a duet with his coach Blake Shelton. He also performed an original song called "My Baby's Got a Smile on Her Face". The song was written for Shelton, but he decided to give it to Boyd. The song is Boyd's debut single.
Shortly after winning the show and signing with Universal Republic and Dot Records, Boyd played at the Grand Ole Opry and went on 65 city tour. His debut album is to be released sometime in 2015. In early May 2015, following 6 weeks of rumors, it was reported that Boyd parted ways with Dot. He tweeted that "it's called I ASK off of the label....". Boyd released one single under Dot records "My Baby’s Got A Smile On Her Face", which debuted at #1 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs before falling off that chart with a 94% drop in sales the next week.. His second single "I'm Still Here" was released to iTunes under his own imprint - Long Haul Records. The song peaked at #35 on the Billboard Digital charts.
Craig Wayne Boyd is starting 2017 fresh with a new record deal with Copperline Music Group. The deal will also have the singer collaborating with Reviver Entertainment Group for radio promotion and BDG/RED for distribution. Top Shelf was released on October 27 via the Copperline Music Group.
- – Studio version of performance reached the top 10 on iTunes
|Blind Audition||"The Whiskey Ain't Workin'"||Travis Tritt and Marty Stuart||Sept. 30, 2014||4.7||Pharrell Williams and Blake Shelton turned|
Joined Team Blake
|Battles (Top 48)||"Wave on Wave" (vs. James David Carter)||Pat Green||Oct. 13, 2014||7.4||Defeated|
Stolen by Gwen Stefani
|Knockouts (Top 32)||"Can't You See" (vs. Anita Antoinette)||The Marshall Tucker Band||Nov. 3, 2014||13.7||Defeated|
Stolen by Blake Shelton
|Live Playoffs (Top 20)||"Some Kind of Wonderful"||Soul Brothers Six||Nov. 10, 2014||15.10||Saved by Public Vote|
|Live Top 12||"You Look So Good in Love"||George Strait||Nov. 17, 2014||18.10|
|Live Top 10||"I Walk the Line"||Johnny Cash||Nov. 24, 2014||20.6|
|Live Top 8||"Take It Easy"||Eagles||Dec. 1, 2014||22.2|
|Live Top 5 (Semi-Finals)||"Workin' Man Blues"||Merle Haggard||Dec. 8, 2014||24.2|
|"The Old Rugged Cross"||George Bennard||24.8|
|Live Finale (Final 4)||"My Baby's Got a Smile on Her Face"||Craig Wayne Boyd||Dec. 15, 2014||26.2||Winner|
|"Boots On" (with Blake Shelton)||Randy Houser||26.5|
|"In Pictures"||Linda Davis||26.9|
|I Ain't No Quitter||
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Sales||Album|
|"My Baby's Got a Smile on Her Face"||2014||1||34||45||
Season 7 Collection
|"I'm Still Here"||2015||—||—||—||None Album Release|
|"Stuck in My Head"||2017||Top Shelf|
Releases from The Voice
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|The Voice: The Complete Season 7 Collection||
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Sales||Album|
|"The Whiskey Ain't Workin'"||2014||—||—||—||The Voice:|
|"Wave on Wave"
(with James David Carter)
|"Can't You See"||—||—||—||The Voice:|
|"Some Kind of Wonderful"||—||—||—|
|"You Look So Good in Love"||35||—||—|
|"I Walk the Line"||15||84||80||
|"Take It Easy"||31||—[A]||—|
|"Workin' Man Blues"||37||—||—||
|"The Old Rugged Cross"||7||59||—|
(with Blake Shelton)
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- "Take It Easy" did not enter the Billboard Hot 100, but peaked at No. 24 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart.
- "In Pictures" did not enter the Billboard Hot 100, but peaked at No. 6 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart.
- "Craig Wayne Boyd Biography". Buddytv.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Yahr, Emily (December 17, 2014). "'The Voice' finale: Why Craig Wayne Boyd was never an underdog". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 17, 2014.
- "Craig Wayne Boyd, 'My Baby's Got a Smile on Her Face'". Tasteofcountry.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Ashley Lee (2014-12-16). "'The Voice' Season 7 Winner Craig Wayne Boyd Named: Recap". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "'The Voice' Winner Craig Wayne Boyd Set for Opry Debut". Tasteofcountry.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Gabel, Sue (February 14, 2015). "Craig Wayne Boyd, winner of 'The Voice' live at the Snoqualmie Casino Ballroom". axs.com. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- B, Deb (May 5, 2015). "UPDATED: 'Voice' 7 Winner Craig Wayne Boyd No Longer Signed To Dot Records/Big Machine Label Group". mjsbigblog.com. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "'Voice' Winner Craig Wayne Boyd Debuts at No. 1 on Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Bjorke, Matt (2014-12-03). "Country Music's Top 30 Digital Singles: December 3, 2014". RoughStock. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Top 30 Digital Singles - December 17, 2014 - Google Sheets". Docs.google.com. 2014-12-17. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Bjorke, Matt (2014-12-17). "Country Music's Top 30 Digital Singles: Week of December 17, 2014". RoughStock. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
|Awards and achievements|
| The Voice (U.S.)
"Set Fire to the Rain"
| The Voice (U.S.)
"My Baby's Got a Smile on Her Face"