Location of Craigsville, Virginia
|• Total||2.0 sq mi (5.3 km2)|
|• Land||2.0 sq mi (5.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,529 ft (466 m)|
|• Density||452/sq mi (174.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1492819|
Craigsville is located at (38.079439, -79.381224).
As of the census of 2000, there were 979 people, 413 households, and 272 families residing in the town. The population density was 495.5 people per square mile (190.9/km²). There were 474 housing units at an average density of 239.9 per square mile (92.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.73% White, 1.74% African American, 0.31% Native American, 0.20% from other races, and 1.02% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.41% of the population.
There were 413 households out of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.2% were married couples living together, 13.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.1% were non-families. 32.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.9% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 29.6% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 83.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $27,500, and the median income for a family was $36,771. Males had a median income of $23,688 versus $21,667 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,226. About 9.3% of families and 13.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.3% of those under age 18 and 13.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Tony Schiavone, professional wrestling announcer and sports talk show host
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Craigsville has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Craigsville town, Virginia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Craigsville, Virginia