Cranberry Township, Crawford County, Ohio
|Cranberry Township, Crawford County, Ohio|
Farmstead on Swabb Road, west of New Washington
Location of Cranberry Township in Crawford County
|• Total||28.18 sq mi (72.98 km2)|
|• Land||28.17 sq mi (72.95 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||994 ft (303 m)|
|• Density||56/sq mi (21.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085935|
Cranberry Township is one of the sixteen townships of Crawford County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census there were 1,579 people living in the township, 612 of whom were in the unincorporated portions.
Located in the northeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Richmond Township, Huron County - northeast
- Auburn Township - east
- Vernon Township - southeast corner
- Sandusky Township - south
- Liberty Township - southwest
- Chatfield Township - west
- Venice Township, Seneca County - northwest
The village of New Washington is located in northwestern Cranberry Township.
Name and history
Cranberry Township was founded in the 1820s. It was named from a cranberry marsh in the southwestern part.
It is the only Cranberry Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Cranberry township, Crawford County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- History of Crawford County and Ohio. Baskin & Battey. 1881. p. 623.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.