Cranfield School of Management
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Location||Cranfield, United Kingdom|
Cranfield School of Management, established in 1967, is one of the oldest and most reputable business schools in the UK. It is part of Cranfield University, the UK’s only wholly postgraduate university specialising in science, technology, engineering and management.
The school is constantly ranked among the top 20 European business schools by the Financial Times and is triple accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA), EQUIS and AACSB. It is particularly well-known for its MSc Logistics & Supply Chain Management and MBA programme.
The School’s Management Information Resource Centre offers access to electronic resources and is equipped with a “Bloomberg Suite”, a series of terminals offering access to live financial services news and data on industries, markets, economic indicators, equities, bonds and derivatives. The school also has a purpose-built residential management training centre.
- 1937: an RAF airbase was set up near Cranfield village in Bedfordshire in 1937 in the build-up to the Second World War.
- 1946: the airbase became the site of a College of Aeronautics to provide education and training for aeronautical engineers. Aspects of management were a feature of Cranfield programmes from the late 1940s.
- 1953: the Work Study School, which evolved to become Cranfield School of Management, opened.
- 1964: the first Cranfield MBA programme was run.
- 1967: Cranfield School of Management was founded.
- 1969: Cranfield was awarded its Royal Charter giving it university status and the power to confer degrees under the new name of Cranfield Institute of Technology.
- 1993: Cranfield Institute of Technology changed its name to Cranfield University.
- 2001: Cranfield SOM gained Triple Crown accreditation, one of the first few to do so in the UK
The Cranfield MBA is a full-time one-year programme beginning in September each year. The class comprises around 100 students drawn from 30 to 40 countries.
The Cranfield Executive MBA is a two-year part-time programme that starts in January each year. The programme is offered in a weekend format and has a focus on real-world learning and leadership development.
- MSc in Finance and Management
- MSc in Investment Management
- MSc in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- MSc in Management
- MSc in Management and Corporate Sustainability
- MSc in Management and Entrepreneurship
- MSc in Retail Management
- MSc in Strategic Marketing
Executive Masters programmes
The School offers the following part-time two-year masters programmes for experienced executives:
- Executive MSc in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Along with other schools of Cranfield University, the School of Management provides programmes for the Defence Academy, UK, which is responsible for training for members of the UK Armed Forces and Ministry of Defence Civil Servants. Relevant programmes include:
The School offers a PhD programme on both a full-time and part-time basis and an International Executive Doctorate (DBA) on a part-time basis.
General Management Programmes
Cranfield’s Centre for General Management focuses on developing the conceptual framework and practical understanding essential to work with a general management perspective. Its portfolio of executive programmes is designed to develop personal leadership effectiveness and improve long term business results, enabling managers to make the personal transitions required at key points in their careers.
- Financial Times' Executive Education Custom Programmes Ranking 2015 – 2nd in the UK and 10th in the world.
- Financial Times' Masters in Finance Ranking 2015 – 4th in the UK and 22nd in the world.
- Financial Times' European Business School Ranking 2014 – 6th in the UK and 22nd in Europe.
- Financial Times' Executive Education Open Enrolment Programmes Ranking 2015 – 3rd in the UK and 33rd in the world.
- Financial Times' Global MBA ranking 2015 – 45th in the world, 1st in the world for organisational behaviour, 2nd in the world for economics.
- The Research Excellence Framework 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) undertaken by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) assessed that in the Business and Management unit of assessment (UoA) 60% of Cranfield University's research is world leading or internationally excellent.
Cranfield School of Management has Memoranda of Understanding with:
- Darden Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Virginia, USA
- China Europe International Business School, Shanghai
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, India
- Melbourne Business School, Australia
- Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- Fundação Getúlio Vargas, São Paulo, Brazil
- University of Chile
- Kobe University, Japan
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- IPADE, Mexico.
The School of Management has run programmes with and hosted exchange students from a number of business schools around the world including ESADE, Spain, EM Lyon, France, University of Cape Town, South Africa and University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana
The alumni body of Cranfield School of Management is an international network of professional managers from business, the professions, the public and not-for-profit sectors. Currently, the network includes more than 18,000 professional managers in over 120 countries.
- Karan Bilimoria – Founder and Chairman, Cobra Beer Ltd
- Crispin Blunt – Member of Parliament for Reigate
- Andy Bond – Former CEO, Asda
- Warren East – CEO, Rolls-Royce Holdings
- Andy Harrison – CEO, Whitbread
- John Hull – Professor of Derivatives and Risk Management at the University of Toronto
- Antony Jenkins – former Group Chief Executive, Barclays
- Graham Kentsley - Entrepreneur and film producer
- Martin Lamb – Chief Executive, IMI plc
- Riz Lateef – Main presenter, BBC London News
- Charlie Mayfield – Chairman, John Lewis Partnership
- John McFarlane – Executive Chairman, Barclays
- Lara Morgan – Founder, Company Shortcuts
- Ted Tuppen – CEO, Enterprise Inns Plc
- Sarah Willingham – letssavesomemoney.com
- Akinwunmi Ambode - Governor Lagos State, Nigeria
- Deepak G Agarwal, Adviser, Kuwait Investment Authority
- "Cranfield School of Management". Independent. 8 August 2013.
- "Cranfield School of Management". Economist. 2017.
- "Cranfield School of Management Full Time". Top MBA. 2017.
- "Cranfield School of Management". Access MBA. 2017.
- "Cranfield - Full Profile". Find-MBA. 2017.
- "MBA Programmes". cranfieldmba.info. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "MBA Programmes". cranfieldemba.info. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Cranfield School of Management". IEDP. 2017.
- "Cranfield School of Management". Eduniversal Business Schools ranking. 2017.
- "Cranfield School of Management". Mastersportal. 2017.
- "Cranfield Masters in Finance and Management". cranfieldmsc.biz. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "The Cranfield MSc in Investment Management". cranfieldmsc.biz. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "The Cranfield full-time MSc in Logistics and Supply Chain Management". cranfieldmsc.biz. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Cranfield Masters in Management". cranfieldmsc.biz. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "The Full-time MSc in Management and Corporate Sustainability". cranfieldmsc.biz. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Cranfield Masters in Management and Entrepreneurship". cranfieldmsc.biz. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Cranfield Masters in Retail Management". cranfieldmsc.biz. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "The Cranfield MSc - Strategic Marketing - Full-time". cranfieldmsc.biz. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "The Cranfield MSc - Executive (Modular) Logistics and Supply Chain Management - Part-time". cranfieldmsc.biz. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Welcome to Cranfield School of Managements Doctoral Programmes". cranfield.ac.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- Alumni stats http://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/p14171/About-Cranfield/Alumni
- "Karan Bilimoria - Founder of Cobra Beer". London Speaker Bureau.
- "London's Most Influential People 2008". London Evening Standard.
- "John McFarlane OBE, awarded honorary degree from Cranfield". Cranfield School of Management.