Crankcase is the name of several characters in the various Transformers universes.
- 1 Transformers: Generation 1
- 2 Transformers
- 3 Transformers: Power Core Combiners
- 4 Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- 5 References
Transformers: Generation 1
Crankcase's box art
|Motto||"Things are never as good as they seem."|
|Alternate modes||Jeep Wrangler|
|Series||Transformers: Generation 1|
Crankcase is a wheezing, whining ingrate, only happy when things are bad. He also has an amazing data storage capacity. He is armed with two laser weapons.
Crankcase first appeared in issue #48 of the Marvel Transformers comics, in a story called "The Flames of Boltax!" In this issue we see a flashback to millions of years ago on Cybertron where Megatron commanded Crankcase, Ruckus and Windsweeper in an attempt to capture the Underbase from Boltax. They were unsuccessful and the Underbase was lost in space.
Crankcase appeared in issues #64 "Matrix Quest Part 1: Bird of Brey", #71 "The Void!", #77 "Exodus!", #79 "The Last Autobot?" and #80 "End of the Road!"
Crankcase made an appearance in the Decepticon forces under the command of Megatron in issue #7 of the Marvel Generation 2 comic series, in a story called "New Dawn." Megatron lead his Decepticons against Jhiaxus' second generation Cybertronians near the moon of Tykos. The Decepticons were defeated and Megatron left injured, presumed dead, but swearing revenge.
Crankcase appeared among the Decepticons under the command of Galvatron in the alternate future story "Aspects of Evil 2" from Marvel U.K. Transformers #224. In this story Rodimus Prime remembered how Galvatron, Crankcase, Ruckus and Windsweeper killed Blurr and then attacked Rodimus Prime, Kup, Arcee and the Battle Patrol. Enraged, Rodimus nearly Galvatron, but to keep the Matrix from being contaminated by hatred he relented. Oddly the Micromaster Battle Patrol was depicted as being full sized Autobots in this story. 
Although Crankcase had a biography printed in Dreamwave Productions More Than Meets The Eye series he did not appear in any of that company's fiction.
Crankcase appeared in Stormbringer #2 by IDW Publishing where he was part of the Decepticon infiltration unit on Nebulos commanded by Darkwing. They recorded the arrival of Thunderwing. In issue #3 he among the Decepticon troops fighting Thunderwing.
Crankcase, Ruckus and Needlenose were supposedly referenced in Around Cybertron by Fun Publications where they attacked a waste depot that they mistook for an energon refinery in Axion Nexus.
Battletrap, Crankcase, Gutcruncher and Stormcloud appear among Bludgeon's troops in the story At War's End by Fun Publications. They help remove Abominus after the Terrorcon combiner had been defeated by Piranacon when it is believed that Hun-Gurrr sold out Bludgeon to Megatron.
- Generation 1 Triggercon Crankcase (1988)
|Alternate modes||2005 Dodge Magnum|
Crankcase is one of two different Decepticons in the Transformers live-action film series. The first version is an homage to the Generation 1 character.
In issue #3 of Transformers: Defiance, Crankcase is among the troops under the command of Starscream ordered by Megatron to bring in Optimus and kill his companions.
Crankcase appears on Cybertron in the Reign of Starscream series where he is killed in an attempt to bring a duplicate of the Allspark cube online.
Note: Information in italics occure in the alternate storyline where Megatron won the battle for the Allspark.
Crankcase would return in issue #22 of the Titan Transformers Magazine series in a story called "The Decepticon who Haunted Himself."
- Transformers Deluxe Crankcase (2008)
- A Walmart exclusive redeco of Cybertron Red Alert and Cannonball. The figure was later remolded into Timelines Kup for BotCon 2009.
- According to Hasbro officials at Botcon 2008, the Walmart exclusive redeco toys were originally planned to be sold under the Transformers: Universe label, but Walmart requested them be part of the movie toy line; thus, they were repackaged in movie style packaging. This means this toy was originally intended to be an updated form for the Generation 1 character.
Transformers: Power Core Combiners
|Sub-group||Destrons, Power Core Combiners, Scouts|
|Partner||Armored Car Drone, Combat Helicopter Drone, Missile Carrier Drone, Recon Plane Drone|
|Alternate modes||Semi-trailer truck|
|Series||Transformers: Power Core Combiners|
- Power Core Combiners Crankcase with Destrons (2010)
- A black redeco of Power Core Combiners Huffer. Comes with four drone vehicles: an armored car, a missile carrier, a gunship and a radome-equipped Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II - all of which combine with Crankcase to form a larger robot.
- The Armored Car and Missile Carrier Drones are redecos of those from Bombshock with Combaticons, while the Combat Helicopter and Recon Plane Drones are redecos of those from Skyburst with Aerialbots.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
|Sub-group||Cyberverse Legion, Deluxe Vehicles ,Dreads|
|Motto||"You'll never see me coming."|
|Alternate modes||Chevrolet Suburban police vehicle|
|Series||Transformers: Dark of the Moon|
|English voice actor||Unknown|
Crankcase is one of two different Decepticons in the Transformers live-action film series. The latest is the leader of the Dreads.
Crowbar, Hatchet and Crankcase are among the Decepticons hidden on the Moon in Transformers: Dark of the Moon. When the Autobots investigate the crashed Ark on the Moon containing Sentinel Prime, the Dreads secretly return with the Autobots. Once on Earth, they scanned three Earth police vehicles as their disguise. The Dreads chase the Autobots on the highway while they escort Sentinel to NEST headquarters. Hatchet dies at the hands of Dino/Mirage and Bumblebee, while Crankcase and Crowbar survive and make their way to Ironhide. Sideswipe ordered them to drop their weapons, but Crankcase reveals his hidden weapons and throws it to Ironhide. Crowbar was killed by Ironhide by shooting him in the head while Crankcase was killed by his own weapon. Ironhide places Crankcase's dead body in an abandoned car and pulls it into a nearby auto shop, which exploded.
Crankcase is among the characters who appear in the TRANSFORMERS CVBERVERSE Battle Builder Game. He also appears in Transformers dark of the moon (video game) as a playable character in multiplayer only. Crankcase had his name swapped with Crowbar, so instead of calling him Crankcase he is called Crowbar. It caused confusion between the two.
All toys of this character are officially licensed from General Motors.
- Dark of the Moon Cyberverse Legion Crankcase (2011)
- An all-new Legion (formerly Legends) mold of Crankcase.
- Dark of the Moon Deluxe Crankcase (2011)
- An all-new Deluxe mold of Crankcase, which transforms into a Chevrolet Suburban emergency vehicle. Comes with Mech Tech weapon that mounts on the roof of vehicle mode.
- Seibertron.com - Crankcase
- "Transformers" #48 (January 1989)
- Cobra Island Toys - Crankcase
- Alvarez, J.E. (2001). The Unofficial Guide to Transformers 1980s Through 1990s Revised & Expanded 2nd Edition. Schiffer Publishing Ltd. p. 75. ISBN 0-7643-1364-9.
- Hasbro Showcases its Iconic Brands at San Diego Comic-Con. Business Wire; July 20, 2010
- TFW2005.com - Crankcase with Destrons
- Michael Kelly (2011). Transformers: Dark of the Moon The Junior Novel. Ballantine Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. ISBN 978-0-316-18629-2.
- MTV Geek News - Toy Fair 2011