Type of site
Mandatory (formerly CraveOnline Media) is a lifestyle website based in Los Angeles with sales offices in New York City, Chicago and San Francisco. The site is owned by media company Evolve Media, LLC. Mandatory focuses its contents into the male-lifestyle audience, but it has diversified into content for all. Mandatory owns 9 websites and has partnered with many more, producing various content for each site. As of February 2021, it is only available in English.
CraveOnline.com was launched in late 2004 by the online media company AtomicOnline, the publishing division of Evolve Media, LLC.
CraveOnline was cited in the 2009 book The Man's Book: The Essential Guide for the Modern Man by Thomas Fink as a top website for men. Regarding CraveOnline, AskMen.com said, "CraveOnline.com combines entertainment and other interests in one place. Great articles, nice pictures and other cool stuff that you won't want to miss."
In March 2018, CraveOnline changed its name to Mandatory, after a popular section of the site of the same name, with a new tagline "Laugh. Learn. Do Some Good."
Owned or associated websites
- Film and TV: ComingSoon.net, SuperHeroHype.com, ShockTillYouDrop.com
- Gaming: ActionTrip, GameRevolution, PlayStation LifeStyle.
- Sports: HockeysFuture.com, Sherdog, WrestleZone.
- "Main Page on Launch Day". 2004-10-01. Archived from the original on October 1, 2004. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Thomas Fink (6 May 2009). The Man's Book: The Essential Guide for the Modern Man. Little, Brown, 2009. ISBN 978-0-316-03364-0.
- Lightstone, Miranda. "CraveOnline.com". AskMen. Archived from the original on 2009-07-05. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "CraveOnline introduces 3D mobile cube unit". Media in Canada. March 11, 2013. Retrieved August 28, 2020.
- "CraveOnline Sets Up Its Own Production Studio". Socal Tech. May 3, 2013. Retrieved August 28, 2020.
- "Evolve Builds Studio for CraveOnline". Los Angeles Business Journal. May 6, 2013. Retrieved August 28, 2020.
- "CraveOnline Unveils Site Re-launch, Welcomes Former Flaunt EIC to Oversee New Editorial Focus on Lifestyle Content". Business Wire. August 6, 2015. Retrieved August 28, 2020.
- "CraveOnline Relaunches With Special Guest Editor Julian Casablancas". Guest of a Guest. October 6, 2015. Retrieved August 28, 2020.
- "Evolve Media Announces CraveOnline Has Been Renamed Mandatory". EContent. March 27, 2018. Retrieved August 28, 2020.
- "ComingSoon.net Turns 15!". ComingSoon.net. August 27, 2013. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- "Men's Entertainment Aggregator CraveOnline Acquires HoopsVibe". cbsnews.com. CBS News. 26 March 2008.