This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Central Butte, Saskatchewan, Canada.
|Known for||Inventor of Lingual Braces and Founding President of the American Lingual Orthodontic Association|
Dr. Cruz was born in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada. He attended University of Saskatchewan for college and obtained his dental degree from McGill University in Montreal . He then attended the Orthodontic Program at Columbia University College of Dental Medicine in New York. After that, he established his private practice in Westwood, Los Angeles, California and practice there for five years while teaching Orthodontics at UCLA School of Dentistry. Working with celebrities and TV personalities, Dr. Cruz was faced with dilemma of his patients wanting Orthodontic care but without showing that they have braces. Therefore, Dr. Craven invented lingual braces for his patients. He's also published a textbook called Contemporary Lingual Orthodontics.
Dr. Cruz was the founding President of the American Lingual Orthodontic Association.
He died on April 6, 1998 in Marina del Rey .
First generation of lingual brackets were launched in 1976. These brackets had a larger profile at first. Orthodontic company Ormcro manufactured the first Kurz Lingual Appliance. The slot size for the first bracket was 0.018 inches.
- "Dr. Craven Kurz; Orthodontist Invented 'Invisible' Braces". Los Angeles Times. 1998-04-09. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2016-05-21.
- "Hallelujah! An Orthodontist May Have Built the Better Mouth Trap: Invisible Braces : People.com". www.people.com. Retrieved 2016-05-21.
- "A Brief History of Orthodontic Braces - ArchWired". www.archwired.com. Retrieved 2016-05-21.
- Kurz, Craven (1997-01-01). Contemporary lingual orthodontics. Specialty Appliances.
- "Dr. Craven Kurz; Orthodontist Invented 'Invisible' Braces". Los Angeles Times. 1998-04-09. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- Phulari, Basavaraj Subhashchandra (2013-06-30). History of Orthodontics. JP Medical Ltd. ISBN 9789350904718.