|Unincorporated community & census-designated place|
The Crawfordsville Bridge
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
Crawfordsville is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Linn County, Oregon, United States. It is located about 8 miles (13 km) southeast of Brownsville, on Oregon Route 228, near the Calapooia River. Although it is unincorporated, it has a post office with a ZIP code of 97336.
Crawfordsville was founded on the land of Philemon Vawter Crawford in 1870 by Crawford and Robert Glass. When the post office was established in 1870, it was named for Crawford. Crawford was born in Madison, Indiana in 1814 and he arrived in Oregon via the Oregon Trail in 1851. His son, Jasper V. Crawford, was the first postmaster. Philemon Crawford had previously helped establish the Boston Flour Mill near Shedd.
Crawfordsville Elementary School, part of the Sweet Home School District, closed in 2011, 158 years after its founding in 1853. Area elementary students now attend Holley Elementary School in Holley.
Points of interest
- "Crawfordsville". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved February 19, 2012.
- Oregon Atlas & Gazetteer (7th ed.). Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. 2008. ISBN 0-89933-347-8.
- "USPS ZIP Code Lookup". Archived from the original on November 23, 2010. Retrieved February 19, 2012.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 248. ISBN 978-0875952772.
- Flora, Stephenie. "Emigrants to Oregon in 1851". oregonpioneers.com.
- "The Boston/Thompson Mill". Boston Mill Society. Retrieved February 19, 2012.
- Friedman, Ralph (1990). In Search of Western Oregon (2nd ed.). Caldwell, Idaho: The Caxton Printers, Ltd. pp. 509–510. ISBN 0-87004-332-3.
- Williamson, Stephen. "Sikhs and Hindus from India Working as Loggers & Millworkers for the Calapooya Lumber Company".
- "Celebration to mark school's closure". The Register-Guard. May 30, 2011. Retrieved February 19, 2012.
- Moody, Jennifer (February 15, 2011). "Board to close Crawfordsville school". Albany Democrat-Herald. Retrieved February 19, 2012.