Crawfordsville Senior High School
Crawfordsville High School
Front of the former school
|Location||201 East Jefferson Street, Crawfordsville, Indiana|
|Area||3 acres (1.2 ha)|
1910 School Colors : Royal Blue and Yellow Gold
|MPS||Indiana's Public Common and High Schools MPS|
|NRHP Reference #||03000543|
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 2003|
In 1873 the building that would come to be known as the Old Central School was constructed at this location for $44,000. The school comprised 12 rooms in three stories before an 1880 addition. The first graduating class of ten students graduated in 1877. At the first graduation the commencement address was given on the subject of women's equality by school board president Robert Krout, father of feminist authors Mary Hannah Krout and Caroline Virginia Krout who would later teach at the school.
In 1910 a new building was constructed on the same site, incorporating part of the structure of the previous building. Shortly thereafter, in 1911, the boys' basketball team won the first Indiana High School Basketball Tournament.
In 1993, classes moved to a new facility at One Athenian Drive, on State Road 47 near the city's southwest corner. The Jefferson Street school building currently houses a fitness center that incorporates the school's 1939 gymnasium, as well as some senior apartments, the city's unemployment office and other businesses.
Schools in Montgomery County:
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Zach, Karen Bazzani (2003), Crawfordsville, Athens of Indiana, Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Press, p. 110, ISBN 978-0-7385-2417-7, OCLC 52413171
- "NPS Focus". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. Retrieved June 15, 2010.
- "Indiana State Historic Architectural and Archaeological Research Database (SHAARD)" (Searchable database). Department of Natural Resources, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. Retrieved 2016-05-01. Note: This includes Paul Baumgarten (September 2002). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Crawfordsville High School" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-05-01. and Accompanying photographs.
- Sisson, Richard; Zacher, Christian K.; Cayton, Andrew Robert Lee (2007), The American Midwest: An Interpretive Encyclopedia, Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press, p. 888, ISBN 978-0-253-34886-9, OCLC 70676538
- 1911 Crawfordsville High School State Basketball Champions, an extensive history of basketball at CHS by the Montgomery County Historical Society
|This article about a property in Montgomery County, Indiana on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Indiana school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|