Crazy Monkey is a series of spots made for MTV to go between music videos. The team behind Crazy Monkey first made them in the hope of MTV just airing them at least once, and thus staking the South African flag on the airwaves of the world's music channel.
After success in South Africa, Crazy Monkey was soon picked up by all the MTV regions in Europe, Canada, South America, Australia and Asia. They even dubbed the spots into German. It wasn't long before MTV commissioned more spots, and even flew the guys to London to shoot some Crazy Monkey in the UK.
There have been entire weekends on MTV in the UK, Canada and Scandinavia that have been devoted to Crazy Monkey. One fan, a Canadian wrestler, changed his name to Trevor Clarence after one of the show's creators.
Brett Goldin murder
On 17 April 2006, the bodies of Brett Goldin and a friend, Richard Bloom, were found in a field next to the M5 freeway to Klipfontein Road in Mowbray, Cape Town. They had been shot in cold blood and had had various items of clothing removed in an apparent gang related incident. The perpetrators were caught.
- "Behind the Monkey". CrazyMonkeyMovie.com. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- "Crazy Monkey escapes from MTV cage". Variety. 2005-03-20. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- "Welcome to Benoniwood!". SouthAfrica.info. 2005-09-30. Archived from the original on 2012-03-04. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- "Crazy Monkey Presents Straight Outta Benoni". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- Evans, Jenni (2006-04-17). "Police probe murder of Crazy Monkey actor". IOL News. Retrieved 2010-12-21.