|Paratrechina longicornis (longhorn crazy ant) worker|
Paratrechina is an ant genus from the subfamily Formicinae (tribe Plagiolepidini). Five species are included in this genus, one of which, the longhorn crazy ant (Paratrechina longicornis), is a widespread pest.
- Paratrechina ankarana LaPolla & Fisher, 2014
- Paratrechina antsingy LaPolla & Fisher, 2014
- Paratrechina kohli (Forel, 1916)
- Paratrechina longicornis (Latreille, 1802)
- Paratrechina zanjensis LaPolla, Hawkes & Fisher, 2013
In 2010, the genus Paratrechina (broad sense) was found to be paraphyletic, with all but one species being transferred to the revived genera Nylanderia and Paraparatrechina. The sole remaining species within Paratrechina was Paratrechina longicornis. The discovery of Paratrechina (broad sense) paraphyly was not particularly surprising, because Paratrechina longicornis possesses a morphology that had long been noted as being different from other members of the genus with especially elongated scapes, head and tibiae, coupled with a distinctly shaped mesosoma and unusual mesosomal setal pattern.
See also: Myrmecophily
Some species of Paratrechina have been found to be in mutualistic association with caterpillars of E. elvina, a metalmark butterfly. The ants are attracted to the tentacle nectary organ of the caterpillars, which produces exudates rich in sugar and amino acids. The ants are thought to provide protection to the caterpillars against enemies in return for this source of nutrition.
- Bolton, B. (2014). "Paratrechina". AntCat. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- Lapolla, J.; Hawkes, P.; n. Fisher, J. (2013). "Taxonomic review of the ant genus Paratrechina, with a description of a new species from Africa". Journal of Hymenoptera Research. 35: 71. doi:10.3897/JHR.35.5628.
- Horvitz, Carol C.; Turnbull, Christine; Harvey, Donald J. (1987-07-01). "Biology of Immature Eurybia elvina (Lepidoptera: Riodinidae), a Myrmecophilous Metalmark Butterfly". Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 80 (4): 513–519. doi:10.1093/aesa/80.4.513. ISSN 0013-8746.
- This article incorporates text from a scholarly publication published under a copyright license that allows anyone to reuse, revise, remix and redistribute the materials in any form for any purpose: Lapolla, J.; Hawkes, P.; n. Fisher, J. (2013). "Taxonomic review of the ant genus Paratrechina, with a description of a new species from Africa". Journal of Hymenoptera Research. 35: 71. doi:10.3897/JHR.35.5628. Please check the source for the exact licensing terms.
- Data related to Paratrechina at Wikispecies
|This Formicinae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|