|Founded||7 July 2003|
|Focus||Young patients; disabled children and adults; young and adult carers; schoolchildren (and their teachers) in areas of deprivation; vulnerable older people; young and adult offenders (and their families); and marginalised children and adults|
|Headquarters||City of London, London, United Kingdom|
Create is a UK creative arts charity (registered charity number 1099733) based in London, which offers creative workshops and arts experiences led by professional artists in community settings, schools, prisons and hospitals.
The charity works with seven priority groups: young patients; disabled children and adults; young and adult carers; schoolchildren (and their teachers) in areas of deprivation; vulnerable older people; young and adult offenders (and their families); and marginalised children and adults (including homeless people and refugees).
Patrons include: choreographer/director Sir Matthew Bourne OBE, writer Esther Freud, musician Dame Evelyn Glennie, composer/TV presenter Howard Goodall CBE, Royal Academician Ken Howard OBE, Guardian columnist/ex-offender Erwin James and pianist Nicholas McCarthy.
Create was co-founded on 7 July 2003 by current Chief Executive Nicky Goulder with the aim of empowering lives through the creative arts. Prior to this, she was Chief Executive of the Orchestra of St John's. In 2013, Nicky won the Clarins Most Dynamisante Woman of the Year Award, which recognises "the action and commitment of inspirational British women who work tirelessly to help underprivileged or sick children across the globe."
In 2015/16, Create ran 989 workshops, delivering 20,249 contact hours to 2,150 disadvantaged and vulnerable children and adults. In 2013, it received a grant of £480,000 from The Queen’s Trust to increase its programme by 280% over the next three years with young carers, young people with disabilities and young offenders.
Since 2003, Create has run 6,609 workshops, delivering 228,784 contact hours to over 31,000 people. Projects have been delivered in Berkshire, Birmingham, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Cumbria, Derbyshire, Essex, Glasgow, Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Kent, London, Manchester, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk and Surrey.
Selection of Projects
- ArtsAdventures is an interactive creative arts programme for young hospital, hospice and respite centre patients and their families. Workshops combine music from around the world with dance, storytelling or visual arts to move a patient’s focus away from their illness, injury or disability.
- inspired:arts and art:space use film-making, photography, music, drama, creative writing and visual art to enable young carers to take time away from their caring responsibilities.
- creativity:revealed is a cross-arts project for older people, which aims to reduce isolation and keep over 65s active.
- creative:release provides creative workshops for adult carers in Newham.
- Inside Stories enables prisoners in Holloway, Isis and Rochester prisons in London and Kent to write, record and illustrate their own stories for their children.
- Winner: Charity Awards 2017 ~ Arts, Culture and Heritage Award
- Winner: East End Community Foundation ~ Smooth Sailing Award 2017
- Winner: FSI ~ Small Charity Big Impact Award 2017
- Highly Commended: Children and Young People Now Awards 2017 ~ Young Carers Award
- Highly Commended: Children and Young People Now Awards 2017 ~ Youth Justice Award
- Highly Commended: Children and Young People Now Awards 2017 ~ Youth Work Award
- Winner: Children and Young People Now Awards 2016 ~ Arts and Culture Award
- Winner: Creative Vision Award 2016
- Shortlisted: Charity Times Awards 2016 ~ Charity of the Year: with an income of less than £1million
- Shortlisted: Third Sector Awards 2016 ~ Charity of the Year
- Charity Times PR Team of the Year: with an income of less than £1 million (2015)
- Shortlisted for Charity Times Charity of the Year: with an income of less than £1 million (2013, 2015)
- Twenty one Koestler Awards for Inside Stories (2014, 2013, 2012)
- Shortlisted for Signature’s “Organisational Achievement” award (2014)
- Shortlisted for the Children & Young People Now "Young Carers" Award (2014)
- Shortlisted for the Directory of Social Change "Everyday Impact" Award (2014)
- Special Commendation in the Royal Society for Public Health’s Arts and Health Awards for Inside Stories (2013)
- Business in the Community’s South East Local Impact Award for art:space presented to sponsor British Land (2013)
- The Lord Mayor’s Dragon Award for Social Inclusion for creative:u~turn presented to sponsor Reed Smith (2012)
- Official website
- Article on Create's dance workshops with older people in The Guardian
- Article by CEO Nicky Goulder on the life-enhancing power of music on children in hospital in the Huffington Post
- Article from The Independent on Create's dance project with young carers at Sadler's Wells
- Article by CEO Nicky Goulder on disability prejudice and the arts in The Guardian
- Report from Sky News on Create's visual art project with young carers in Canary Wharf
- "Create: January Charity". My Aging Parent.
- "Our Patrons". Create. Archived from the original on 2015-05-25.
- "Lancaster University Alumni: Nicky Goulder". Lancaster University.
- "Dynamisante Women: Nicky Goulder". Clarins.
- "Who We Support". The Queen's Trust.
- "Impact Report". Create. Archived from the original on 2015-05-26.
- "Charity Brings Smiles to Faces of Youngsters". The Reading Chronicle. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Through the Eyes of Richmond's Young Carers". Richmond Carers' Centre.
- "What do the creative arts have to offer older people?". TownTalk: Golders Green. 30 April 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "Newham carers take part in jewellery making workshops". The Newham Recorder. 27 May 2014. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Create's Inside Stories programme explores freedom from a different perspective". Not Shut Up. 6 February 2015. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Hall of Fame 2015". The Charity Times Awards.
- "Hall of Fame 2013". The Charity Times Awards. Archived from the original on 2015-01-28.
- "Charity Times Awards 2015 – shortlist announced". The Charity Times Awards.
- "Koestler Awards 2012" (PDF). Koestler Trust. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-07-02.
- "Koestler Awards 2013" (PDF). Koestler Trust. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-09-19.
- "Koestler Awards 2014" (PDF). Koestler Trust. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-11-06.
- "About the awards". Signature Annual Awards. Archived from the original on 2015-04-19.
- "CYP Now Awards 2014 - the shortlist". Children & Young People Now.
- "The DSC Social Change Awards Nominees 2014". Directory of Social Change. Archived from the original on 2015-03-13.
- "Art and Health Awards 2013". Royal Society for Public Health. Archived from the original on 2015-04-28.
- "A Winning CREATE-ive Partnership for British Land". British Land.
- "Reed Smith". The Lord Mayor's Dragon Awards.