Type of site
Raleigh, NC, US,
|Key people||Greg Lucas, Carter Laren, Donald Thompson, Kevin Carroll, Amie Thompson|
Creative Allies is a digital marketing and media company based in Raleigh, NC known for its celebrity focused crowdsourced design campaigns. The company gives artists from all over the world an opportunity to create original artwork for the coolest global sports and entertainment brands around.
Creative Allies was founded in 2009 by entrepreneurs Sean O'Connell and Greg Lucas. Seeing a need for emerging musicians to have high-quality designs for tour merchandise, the pair created both a platform and an online community to fill this gap. The process of crowdsourced design allowed artists to interact with their favorite musicians while providing musicians a low cost way to generate amazing art.
Over the years, the community of artists continued to grow as well as the brand recognition of Creative Allies. The company touts a roster of the biggest celebrity names in the music industry. Creative Allies took the same approach they used to become successful in the music industry, and expanded the business to serve consumer brands as well as sports properties.
The original founders and leaders such as Kevin Carroll and Donald Thompson have since moved on to other endeavors. In 2018, the board promoted Amie Thompson, its former Director of Operations, to the role of President & CEO of the company.
Creative Allies developed a proprietary technology platform, a contest engine, allowing the company to effectively execute design competitions for its clients. The platform allows the company to build contests efficiently, allows creatives to upload submissions to each contest and allows fans to vote on favorite designs through the platform’s voting apparatus.
Hosted Design Competitions
Creative Allies is the home to more than 100,000 creatives from around the world, including solo practitioners and avant garde studio collectives. The company connects these creatives with a variety of brands to execute marketing design competitions to generate creative content and spark social engagement.
The company has hosted almost 2,000 design competitions including:
Music: Megadeth, Billy Joel, Twenty One Pilots, Mariah Carey, Motionless In White, Soundgarden, Kendrick Lamar, Slightly Stoopid, Petey Pablo, Maroon 5, Tom Chaplin, Bassnectar, Duran Duran, Beastie Boys, Counting Crows, Gavin DeGraw, Amon Amarth, X Ambassadors, Imagine Dragons, The String Cheese Incident, KISS, Guns N Roses, Rob Zombie, Fetty Wap, Rich The Kid, Willie Nelson, Ella Mai, Jefferson Airplane, Rootfire
Arts & Music Festivals: Hangout Music Festival, Euphoria Music Festival, Gathering of the Vibes, Lexington Ave Arts Festival, Monterey Jazz Festival, Taste of Soul Atlanta, Camp Bisco, SXSW
Additional Marketing Services
Creative Allies believes that everybody deserves great marketing, no matter the budget. In addition to the foundational crowdsourced design, Creative Allies is a full-service agency with a comprehensive slate of integrated marketing services, including buzz-generating physical and virtual events, viral social, game-changing collateral, advertising that drives traffic, engagement, and purchase, as well as packaging, merchandise, and much more.
- "Social Startups: Creative Allies Gives Artistic Freedom to Fans, Bands and Brands". Social Media Today. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Music Allies Expands With Creative Allies". All Access. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Robehmed, Natalie. "Forget The Merch Stall: Buy Fan-Made Band Tees Online". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Branding Advice for Municipal and Public Institutions | Walk West". Walk West. 2018-01-29. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Creative Allies Names Kevin Carroll VP/Business Development". All Access. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Creative Allies Lets Fans Design Merchandise For Musical Artists, Vote Via Facebook". Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Allies, Creative. "Creative Allies, Fan Sourcing Platform, Reaches Over 300 Million Fans Through Social Media". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Career Connection: Creative Allies - Music Connection Magazine". www.musicconnection.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Vote In The Billy Joel 'The Bridge To Russia' Creative Allies Poster Contest! - Billy Joel Official Site". Billy Joel Official Site. 2014-06-17. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Twenty | One | Pilots Launch Creative Allies Contest - Fueled By Ramen Latest News". Fueled By Ramen Official Website. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Creative Allies Contest". mariahcarey.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Creative Allies Poster Contest | Soundgarden". Soundgarden. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "The Illixer » An Elite Source Of Urban Entertainment » News: Kendrick Lamar Inspires Art Show". theillixer.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Good Kid m.A.A.d City Art Show". Daniel Nash Illustration. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Art Imitating Life: Kendrick Lamar On Full Display At His Art Show in Brooklyn - AllHipHop.com". AllHipHop.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Design a tour poster for Atmosphere and Slightly Stoopid!". rhymesayers.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- WRAL. "Petey Pablo is coming back, helping local talent :: Out and About at WRAL.com". WRAL.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Post, The Jakarta. "Guess what?: Indonesian student designs Maroon 5 album cover". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "CONTEST: Design a poster for Tom Chaplin". ChaplinSource. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "NYE POSTER CONTEST – WINNER". www.bassnectar.net. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "BASS CENTER III POSTER DESIGN CONTEST". www.bassnectar.net. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "DURAN DURAN MONTHLY COLLECTOR'S CORNER: OCTOBER, 2017". Duran Duran. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Beastie Boys Double Crowdsource Their New Poster". hypebot. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "COUNTING CROWS ANNOUNCE NEW ALBUM 'UNDERWATER SUNSHINE' (COOKCD561) FOR APRIL 9th | The publicity connection". thepublicityconnection.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "String Cheese Incident - Official 2012 Summer Tour Art Contest". www.stringcheeseincident.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Willie Nelson Art: Poster Contest | www.stillisstillmoving.com". stillisstillmoving.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Epic Rights & Creative Allies - Epic Rights". Epic Rights. 2016-11-05. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "The Story of the Rootfire Logo as told by Creative Allies". Rootfire. 2013-08-02. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "X Games and Creative Allies Launch New Design Contest Today - ESPN MediaZone U.S." espnmediazone.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Pieces Falling Into Place for Grizzlies, AIF Franchise To Play in Holmes Center | High Country Press". www.hcpress.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "CP3 Rising Stars Camp | Live Broadcast & Video Production". Walk West. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Case-Mate® and Creative Allies Host Design Contest for the 2nd annual Hangout Music Festival!". Grateful Web. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Austin.com 10 Reasons Why Euphoria Fest Is The Place To Be For Austin Artists". austin.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "獎金獵人". bhuntr.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Winner announced for the LAAFF T-Shirt Design Contest Through Creative Allies!". Dreamspider's Blog. 2010-09-01. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Portland artist's design chosen for 2015 Monterey Jazz Festival poster". AXS. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Relix/Creative Allies SXSW Party Takes Place Today - Relix Media". Relix Media. 2012-03-15. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "AriZona Iced Tea Celebrated 20 Years – And YOU Designed the Cans! – Social Media for Business Performance". smbp.uwaterloo.ca. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "BevNET Knows How to Pick a Winner - AriZona Goes with Cherry Lime Rickey for New Flavor - BevNET.com". BevNET.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "U.S. Polo Assn. Fetes 125 Years". License Global. 2015-01-09. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Dangerbird. "Dangerbird Records Design a custom beer bottle inspired by T. Hardy Morris for Blackstone Brewing Company". dangerbirdrecords.com. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Raleigh's Creative Allies gets Gilmore Girls gig - Raleigh & Company". Raleigh & Company. 2016-12-02. Retrieved 2018-11-13.