Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy
|Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy|
|990 Morgan Boulevard
Camden, NJ 08104
|Type||Magnet public high school|
|School district||Camden City Public Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Davida Coe-Brockington|
|Enrollment||370 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||9.5:1|
Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy (CAMVA) is a seven-year magnet public middle / high school that focuses on fine and performing arts programs in addition to academic programming for students in seventh through twelfth grades in the City of Camden, in Camden County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Camden City Public Schools. The school opened in 1999 with a freshman class of under 50 students, as one of three magnet schools in Camden, along with Brimm Medical Arts High School and MetEast High School. As of 2011, the academy added a middle school program for grades 6-8. Camden residents entering sixth or ninth grades are eligible to apply and must demonstrate interest in a particular field of the arts as well as meet minimum grade and attendance standards. Admission is based on a combination of criteria including auditions, academic scores and interviews.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 370 students and 39.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 9.5:1. There were 295 students (79.7% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 24 (6.5% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 180th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 117th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 196th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 187th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Creative Arts Jazz Band and Vocal Ensemble are award winning as well. The Vocal department traveled to Puerto Rico, Italy, California, New Orleans, Poland, and Nashville where they have won supreme, and gold rating. The Jazz Band has won consistently at the Berklee College of Music Jazz Festival, and has won first place in the state in 2006, 2008, 2013, and 2014.
Each year around May, about 100 students are chosen out of the applicants to audition for the school. Out of those 100, around 40 students are chosen. These students are chosen based on their elementary school academic record, a test taken during the audition process, and their overall audition in the fields of Instrumental and Vocal music, Dramatics, Creative Writing, Visual Arts, Dance, and Costume Design.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Dr. Davida L. Coe-Brockington
- School data for Creative Arts Village Academy, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 26, 2016. "The mission of the CREATIVE ARTS MORGAN VILLAGE ACADEMY is to enable students grades 6 -12 to excel academically and socially through a rigorous, data-driven arts infused college preparatory program that nurtures creativity, individuality and interpersonal skills and prepares students to succeed in post- secondary education and careers.... During the 2011 -2012 our high school was merged with a middle school, Morgan Village Middle School to become Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy."
- Admissions, Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy. Accessed August 27, 2014.
- "Best High Schools 2008 Search", U.S. News & World Report. Accessed August 24, 2008.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 11, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed August 7, 2012.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- About the Principal, Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy. Accessed August 27, 2014.
- Creative Arts Morgan Village Academy Web Site
- Camden City Public Schools
- Camden City Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Camden City Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics