Creedence Clearwater Revival (album)
|Creedence Clearwater Revival|
|Studio album by Creedence Clearwater Revival|
|Released||July 5, 1968|
|Recorded||October 1967, January–February 1968, Coast Recorders, San Francisco, California|
|Genre||Psychedelic rock, swamp rock, blues rock, southern rock, acid rock|
|Creedence Clearwater Revival chronology|
|Singles from Creedence Clearwater Revival|
|Rolling Stone||(negative) |
The reissue liner notes state that while "Susie Q" proved to be a hit, the band had played for years as The Golliwogs in the early 1960s, releasing numerous singles before achieving success in the pop world. While the band did gain success with their chart debut, critics initially denied the band respect. The album was remastered and reissued on 180 Gram vinyl by Analogue Productions in 2006.
All songs written by John Fogerty, except where noted.
- "I Put a Spell on You" (Screamin' Jay Hawkins) – 4:33
- "The Working Man" – 3:04
- "Susie Q." (Eleanor Broadwater, Dale Hawkins, Stanley Lewis) – 8:37
- Recorded January 19, 1968.
- "Ninety-Nine and a Half (Won't Do)" (Steve Cropper, Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett) – 3:39
- "Get Down Woman" – 3:09
- "Porterville" – 2:24
- Recorded October 1967. Initially released as a single in November 1967. It was the last single that the band released as The Golliwogs.
- "Gloomy" – 3:51
- "Walk on the Water" (John Fogerty, Tom Fogerty) – 4:40
- This track is a remake of "Walking on the Water", a recording released by the band as a single, in 1966, while they were still known as The Golliwogs.
Note: All tracks recorded February 1968, except where indicated
40th Anniversary Edition CD bonus tracks
- "Call It Pretending" (B-Side of Porterville) – 2:09
- "Before You Accuse Me" (1968 Outtake) - 3:24
- "Ninety-Nine and a Half (Won't Do)" (Live at The Fillmore, 3/14/69) - 3:47
- "Susie Q." (Live at The Fillmore, 3/14/69) - 11:45
- John Fogerty - lead guitar, lead vocals
- Tom Fogerty - rhythm guitar, backing and co-lead (3) vocals
- Stu Cook - bass guitar
- Doug Clifford - drums
- Producer: Saul Zaentz
- Recording engineer: Walt Payne
- Mastering supervisor: Tamaki Beck
- Mastering: Kevin Gray, Steve Hoffman, Shigeo Miyamoto
- Liner notes: Ralph J. Gleason, Ben Fong-Torres (CD release)
- Album cover design: Laurie Clifford
On Allmusic the album received 4.0 stars (out of 5), with Stephen Thomas Erlewine stating: "Released in the summer of 1968 - a year after the Summer of Love, but still in the thick of the Age of Aquarius - Creedence Clearwater Revival's self-titled debut album was gloriously out-of-step with the times, teeming with John Fogerty's Americana fascinations."
|Pop Singles||UK Top 40|
|"Susie Q (Part One)"/
"Susie Q (Part Two)
|"I Put a Spell on You"/
"Walk on the Water"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Creedence Clearwater Revival (album).|