Creg-ny-Baa, Isle of Man
Creg-ny-Baa, Isle of Man (Manx: rock of the cow) [kreg no bæ:]) is a right turn on the Snaefell Mountain Course, the motorcycle racing course used since 1911 for the Isle of Man TT races and from 1923 in the Manx Grand Prix races. It is named after the nearby Keppel Hotel or Creg-ny-Baa public house and restaurant.
It is located between the 34th and 35th Milestone racing road-side markers on the Snaefell Mountain Course, situated on the primary A18 Snaefell Mountain Road and the side-road junction with the secondary B12 'Creg-ny-Baa Back-Road', in the parish of Onchan in the Isle of Man.
Creg-ny-Baa continues the steep descent off the Mountain started at preceding Keppel Gate and Kate's Cottage situated amidst moorland grazing, towards the arable farmland slopes at a lower altitude and is the first very-heavy braking area on the TT course descent, with an emergency slip-road available adjacent to the pub —'Creg-ny-Baa Back-Road'. After the right-bend, the descent continues with a straight run down to Brandish.
To facilitate racing on the Clypse Course for the 1954 Isle of Man TT Races, during the winter of 1953-54 road widening and re-profiling occurred on the Snaefell Mountain Course at Creg-ny-Baa along with nearby Signpost Corner, Cronk-ny-Mona and the approach to Governor's Bridge by the Isle of Man Highway Board.
Like many corners on the course, the Creg-ny-Baa corner was also part of the Highland Course and Four Inch Course that were used between 1904-1911 for automobile car races, before the current motorcycle course was fully determined. Thus it was part of the Gordon Bennett Trial and Tourist Trophy automobile car races between 1904 and 1911.
- 1705 Dioc. Reg. Cregnyba – Manx Note Book
- Manx Inns – A Pub crawl through History page 95 by Suzanne Cubbon – Heron & Brealey Ltd (1998) Amulree Publications ISBN 978-1-901508-01-7
- An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of the Isle of Man page 42 by David T.Webber Revised by Frank Cowin and F.J.Radcliffe;- Editor Gordon N. Kniveton (1997) The Manx Experience ISBN 1-873120-25-7 "A road junction on the Douglas to Ramsey Mountain Road leading to Laxey."
- Isle of Man Weekly Times dated 29 May 1954
- Prohibited and Restricted Areas for the Isle of Man TT Races, Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix, Creg-ny-Baa