Crescent Beach State Park
|Crescent Beach State Park|
|Maine State Park|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m) |
|Area||242 acres (98 ha) |
|Management||Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry|
|IUCN category||V - Protected Landscape/Seascape|
|Website: Crescent Beach State Park|
Crescent Beach State Park is state-operated, public recreation area on the Atlantic Ocean in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, United States. The state park features a mile-long, crescent-shaped beach for swimming and sunbathing, fishing, sea kayaking, and trails for hiking and cross-country skiing.
In the news
The state has leased 100 acres of the park from The Sprague Corporation (owned by the privately held Black Point Corporation) since 1961. In 2013, the state's lease was extended for five years at a cost of $500,000. Under the original 50-year lease, the state paid $1 per year for use of the land, an amount that increased to $10,000 annually with a series of one-year lease extensions that began in 2011. The state has expressed interest in purchasing the entire property, one of the largest revenue-generating parks in Maine, when the current lease expires in 2018. In 2012, the Maine State Employees Association (MSEA) protested the possible privatization of the park by Governor Paul LePage's administration, saying privatization would endanger the entire public park system.
- "Crescent Beach State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Outdoors in Maine: State Parks, Public Lands, and Historic Sites" (PDF). Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- "Crescent Beach State Park". Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "About Us". Black Point Corporation. Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- Graff, Will (March 8, 2013). "Lease signed, state now eyes buying Crescent Beach in Cape Elizabeth". The Forecaster. Falmouth, Maine. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- Graff, Will (August 9, 2012). "Crescent Beach negotiations not improving; state employee union launches petition". The Forecaster. Falmouth, Maine. Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- Crescent Beach State Park Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry