15 April 1966 |
London, United Kingdom
|Residence||London, United Kingdom|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford|
|Notable work||How to Train Your Dragon|
Cressida Cowell (born 15 April 1966) is an English children's author, popularly known for the novel series, How to Train Your Dragon, which has subsequently become an award-winning film as adapted for the screen by DreamWorks Animation. In addition to her other publications, Cowell works with illustrator Neal Layton in the ongoing series of Emily Brown stories. The first in the series, That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown, won a Nestlé Children’s Book Award.
As a child, Cowell states she "grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland," and that it was during summers spent on the Inner Hebrides where she first began to develop her writing and drawing talents:
- "I spent a great deal of time as a child on a tiny, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland...By the time I was eight, my family had built a small stone house on the island, and with the boat, we could fish for enough food to feed the family for the whole summer.
"From then on, every year we spent four weeks of the summer and two weeks of the spring on the island. The house was lit by candle-light, and there was no telephone or television, so I spent a lot of time drawing and writing stories."
Cressida Cowell presently resides in London with her husband Simon, a former director and interim CEO of the International Save the Children Alliance; daughters Maisie and Clementine; and son Alexander.
List of works
How to Train Your Dragon books
- How to Train Your Dragon (2003)
- How to Be a Pirate (2004)
- How to Speak Dragonese (2005)
- How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (2006)
- How to Train Your Viking, by Toothless the Dragon (2006)
- How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (2007)
- A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (2008)
- How to Ride a Dragon's Storm (2008)
- How to Break a Dragon's Heart (2009)
- How to Steal a Dragon's Sword (2011)
- The Day of the Dreader (2012)
- How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel (2012)
- How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (2013)
- How to Fight a Dragon's Fury (2015)
- The Complete Book of Dragons: A Guide to Dragon Species (2014)
- A Journal for Heroes (2015)
Emily Brown books
- That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown
- Emily Brown and the Thing
- Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency
- Cheer Up Your Teddy Bear, Emily Brown!
- Little Bo Peep’s Troublesome Sheep
- Don’t Do That Kitty Kilroy
- What Shall We Do with the Boo-Hoo Baby
- There's No Such Thing as a Ghostie!
- Daddy on the moon
- Hiccup the Seasick Viking
- 2006 Nestlé Children’s Book Prize, Gold Award 0–5 years category: That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown by Cressida Cowell & Neal Layton (Orchard Books)
- "F.A.Q.s - Cressida Cowell – Quick Facts". Cressidda Cowell - Official Website. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- How to Train Your Dragon (film)#Accolades
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8592461.stm BBC News, 30 March 2010 "Secret Scottish isle inspired dragon tales"
- DavidHigham.Co.UK (dead link) Archive.org link
- Official website – About me
- Chilton, Martin (8 October 2012). "How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel, by Cressida Cowell: review". Telegraph. Retrieved 31 January 2013.