Cresskill High School
|Cresskill High School|
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Cresskill Public Schools|
|Enrollment||542 (as of 2015-16)|
|Student to teacher ratio||9.4:1|
|Color(s)|| Black and|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Interscholastic Conference|
Cresskill High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Cresskill in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Cresskill Public Schools. The infrastructure is shared with Cresskill Middle School, which serves Cresskill students in sixth through eighth grade.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 542 students and 57.6 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 9.4:1. There were 13 students (2.4% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 7 (1.3% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Until October 1962, when the initial wing of Cresskill's high school, constructed at a cost of $2.8 million, was opened, Cresskill's students in grades seven to twelve had attended Tenafly High School. Students already in the Tenafly district for grades 11 and 12 when the Cresskill school opened remained at Tenafly High School until graduation, which meant that the first graduating class was the Class of 1965.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 18th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 29th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 55th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 15th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which included 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 22nd out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 90 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (97.1%) and language arts literacy (99.3%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
In its listing of "America's Best High Schools 2016", the school was ranked 425th out of 500 best high schools in the country; it was ranked 47th among all high schools in New Jersey and 30th among the state's non-magnet schools.
In its 2013 report on "America's Best High Schools", The Daily Beast ranked the school 361st in the nation among participating public high schools and 31st among schools in New Jersey. The school was ranked 166th in the nation and tenth in New Jersey on the list of "America's Best High Schools 2012" prepared by The Daily Beast / Newsweek, with rankings based primarily on graduation rate, matriculation rate for college and number of Advanced Placement / International Baccalaureate courses taken per student, with lesser factors based on average scores on the SAT / ACT, average AP/IB scores and the number of AP/IB courses available to students.
The school was ranked 209th in the 2010 Newsweek magazine ranking of the top 15,000 high schools in the United States, after being ranked 303rd in 2009. It was the sixth-ranked school in New Jersey, with 2.586 AP tests taken in 2008 per graduating senior and 52% of all graduating seniors passing at least one AP exam; The school was ranked 256th nationwide in 2008. In Newsweek's 2007 ranking of the country's top high schools, Cresskill High School was listed in 209th place, the fifth-highest ranked school in New Jersey; the school had been ranked 202nd in the 2006 survey and in 93rd in 2005.
The Cresskill High School Cougars compete in the Patriot Division of the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference (NJIC), following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 415 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North I, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 187 to 490 students in that grade range. Prior to realignment that took effect in the fall of 2010, Cresskill was a member of the Bergen County Scholastic League (BCSL) in the Olympic Division.
The football team won the NJSIAA North I Group I state sectional championship in 1984, 1987, 1989, 1992 and 1997.
The boys wrestling team won the North I Group I state sectional title in 1997 and 1998.
The 2003 girls' basketball team won the North I, Group I title with a win over previously unbeaten County Prep High School, by a 71-65 score. The 2004 team repeated the feat, winning their third consecutive title by defeating North Warren Regional High School, 74-61, in the tournament final. In 2008, the girl's varsity basketball team won the North I, Group I state sectional championship with a 59-44 win over Belvidere High School.
In 2007 and 2009, Cresskill won its group at the Bergen County Meet in track.
On November 9, 2006, Cresskill played in the finals of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) 2006 North I, Group I Girls Soccer Tournament, falling to Kinnelon High School by a score of 5-0.
The girls volleyball team won the 2002 Group I championship, sweeping Secaucus High School 15-10, 15-7 in the final match. The 2003 team repeated the title, defeating North Arlington High School in the final.
The 2001 boys' basketball team defeated Secaucus High School by 61-50, to win the finals of the North I, Group I tournament. They finished with a school-best 26-2 record. The 2002 boys' basketball team defeated Bogota High School by a score of 70-56 in the tournament final to win the North I, Group I state sectional tournament, finishing the season with a record of 22-5.
- Stephen Dadaian (born 1987), electric and classical guitarist.
- John Ricco (born c. 1968), assistant general manager of the New York Mets.
The principal is John Massaro.
- School data for Cresskill High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Cresskill High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 8, 2015.
- Slocum, John W. "NEW JERSEY; Bergen", The New York Times, September 3, 1962. Accessed July 22, 2011. "Cresskill will open the first wing of its $2,800,000 high school on Oct 1. Of the 495 pupils in grades seven through twelve, 280 junior and seniors will study in Tenafly High School until graduation."
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed June 12, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 7, 2012.
- Staff. "America's Best High Schools 2016", Newsweek. Accessed November 11, 2016.
- Streib, Lauren. "America's Best High Schools", The Daily Beast, May 6, 2013. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Staff. "America's Best High Schools 2012", The Daily Beast / Newsweek, May 20, 2012. Accessed May 22, 2012.
- Mathews, Jay. "The High School Challenge 2011: Cresskill High School", The Washington Post. Accessed July 22, 2011.
- Staff. "The Top of the Class: The complete list of the 1,500 top U.S. high schools", Newsweek, June 8, 2009. Accessed June 10, 2009.
- "The Top of the Class: The complete list of the 1,200 top U.S. schools" Archived May 23, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, Newsweek, May 22, 2007. Accessed May 24, 2007.
- Home page, North Jersey Interscholastic Conference. Accessed September 27, 2012.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017 Archived 2012-11-09 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association League Memberships – 2009-2010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed October 8, 2014.
- NJSIAA 2017 - 2019 Co-Operative Sports Programs[permanent dead link], New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 8, 2015.
- Staff. "Cresskill 60, Boonton 59", The Star-Ledger, March 8, 2010. Accessed July 22, 2011. "Tom Hasenstab finished with 22 points and Rueben Torenberg scored 15, including the game-winning bucket with 10 seconds left, when Cresskill defeated Boonton, 60-59, for the championship of the NJSIAA/ShopRite North Jersey, Section 1, Group 1 tournament last night in Boonton."
- Kitchin, Mark. "Boonton boys basketball has tough season-ending loss", Daily Record (Morristown), March 8, 2010. Accessed July 22, 2011. "Tom Hasenstab scored 21 points and Reuben Torenberg added 13 including the winning basket with 10 seconds left to give Cresskill a 60-59 victory over Boonton in the North 1 Group I state sectional title game on Monday."
- 2010 Boys Basketball Tournament - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed March 7, 2012.
- McIntyre, Jason. "Cresskill earns title on Ostrove's heroics", The Record (Bergen County), March 11, 2003. Accessed August 2, 2007. "Ostrove, a 5-foot-3 guard, sprinted from behind the three-point line to make a sensational block, and Cresskill held on for a 71-65 victory over previously unbeaten County Prep in the North 1, Group 1 girls basketball final."
- 2003 Girls Basketball - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 28, 2007.
- Koo, Bob. "Cresskill not ready to give up the crown -- Second-half surge gives Cougars third straight title", The Record (Bergen County), March 9, 2004. Accessed December 8, 2015. "The senior sharpshooter scored 17 of her 26 points in that third quarter as the top-seeded Cougars outscored No. 7 North Warren, 28-10, en route to a 74-61 win in Monday's North 1, Group 1 sectional girls basketball final."
- 2004 Girls Basketball - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 28, 2007.
- 2008 Girls Basketball - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 19, 2011.
- Doviak, Cory K. "Cresskill goes inside and comes out with a section title", NorthJerseySports.com, March 4, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2011. "Colleen Ahearn provided Cresskill with just such a target and the Cougars hit it over and over again in the fourth quarter of Monday night's North 1, Group 1 state sectional final.... Cresskill, which entered the fourth quarter trailing by three points, used Ahearn's scoring and smart decisions by the rest of the team, to pull away for a surprisingly comfortable 59-44 win and its first section title since 2004."
- Gene "Red" Lettler County Meet: Bergen County Group Champions, Bergen County Coaches Association. Accessed August 19, 2011.
- 2006 Girls Soccer Tournament - North I, Group I Girls Varsity Soccer State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 10, 2006.
- 2005 Girls Team Tennis - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 28, 2007.
- 2001 NJSIAA Boys Team Tennis - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association .Accessed April 28, 2007.
- 2002 Girls Volleyball - Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 28, 2007.
- 2003 Girls Volleyball - Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 28, 2007.
- 2001 - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 28, 2007.
- McIntyre, Jason. "Cresskill Overcomes Bogota", The Record (Bergen County), March 6, 2002. Accessed December 8, 2015. "Their embrace was quick. Cresskill's Matt Henry smiled and hugged his good friend, Bogota's Jim Holsworth, following the Cougars' surprisingly easy 70-56 win over the Bucs Tuesday night in the Group 1, North 1 boys basketball sectional final."
- Mansour, Jeff. "Happy Birthday To Cresskill's Stephen Dadaian", Cresskill-Closter Daoly Voice, May 3, 2016. Accessed August 27, 2018. "The dentist by day, guitarist by night attended Cresskill High School and graduated from The College of New Jersey, as well as Columbia University College of Dental Medicine."
- Rubin, Adam. "Watch out Omar Minaya: Numbers man John Ricco could be next Mets general manager", New York Daily News, August 11, 2009. Accessed September 12, 2017. "Ricco, 41, joined the organization as assistant GM in April 2004 after spending 12 years working for the commissioner's office at Major League Baseball.... A graduate of Cresskill (N.J.) High School and Villanova, Ricco wrote for the university's student newspaper."
- Middle and High School Administration, Cresskill High School. Accessed August 27, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cresskill High School (Cresskill, New Jersey).|