Crete is a small unincorporated community in Greensfork Township, Randolph County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. The town is about 3 miles (5 km) east of the town of Lynn.
A post office called Crete was established in 1882, and remained in operation until 1918. The community may have been named after the pet name of Lucretia, a local young woman.
Crete is located at 40°02′36″N 84°51′42″W / 40.04333°N 84.86167°W.
Jim Jones, leader of the People's Temple cult that committed mass suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, in 1978, was born in Crete in 1931.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Crete, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- ^ "Randolph County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 105. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...whose name was Lucretia or Crete.
- ^ Rolls, Geoff (26 November 2014). Classic Case Studies in Psychology: Third edition. Taylor & Francis. p. 100. ISBN 978-1-317-90961-3.