Cricket at the 2022 Commonwealth Games
at the 2022 Commonwealth Games
|Venue||Edgbaston Cricket Ground|
A women's cricket tournament will be held at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, England, during July and August 2022. It will be cricket's first inclusion in the Commonwealth Games since a List A men's tournament was held at the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The matches will be played under Twenty20 format and there will only be a women's tournament.
The next Commonwealth Games will be held in 2022 in Birmingham, England, from 27 July to 7 August and will see 4,500 athletes taking part. Under Commonwealth Games rules, all core Commonwealth sports must be hosted but additional sports may be added by the local organising committee. In November 2018, the International Cricket Council (ICC) and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) made a joint bid for a women's Twenty20 tournament to be included. In August 2019, the Commonwealth Games Federation announced that the bid had been successful after a vote of all 71 Commonwealth Games Associations with women's cricket being added to the 2022 programme along with beach volleyball and para table tennis to the exclusion of archery and shooting. The Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), as custodian of the Laws of Cricket, welcomed the move and hoped it would eventually lead to cricket's inclusion in the 2028 Summer Olympics.
The tournament will be played in Twenty20 format with eight teams qualifying. Edgbaston Cricket Ground in Birmingham will be the venue for the matches. Though there were suggestions for matches to also be held at the County Cricket Ground, Derby, New Road, Worcester and Grace Road, Leicester, none of these were selected in the final confirmation.
- "Cricket to return to Commonwealth Games in 2022 with women's T20s". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Commonwealth Games 2022: More women's medals as T20 cricket, beach volleyball & Para-table tennis included". 13 August 2019. Retrieved 13 August 2019 – via BBC Sport.
- "Women's T20 cricket to be included in the 2022 Commonwealth Games". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- Collins, Adam (26 November 2018). "Women's T20 cricket could be included in 2022 Commonwealth Games". Retrieved 13 August 2019 – via The Guardian.
- "Cricket returns to Commonwealth Games with women's T20 tournament added for 2022". Stuff.nz. 13 August 2019. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- Rodger, James (13 August 2019). "Commonwealth Games 2022 adds three new sports to programme". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- "Officials looking to include cricket in 2028 Los Angeles Olympics - MCC". Reuters. 12 August 2019. Retrieved 13 August 2019.